-   -   prep 4 sarge 2 etch upgrade; patching driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/188429-prep-4-sarge-2-etch-upgrade-patching-driver.html)

Mark Copper 11-05-2008 08:20 PM

prep 4 sarge 2 etch upgrade; patching driver

I posted 2 days ago on this old, old topic, but am posting separately
now to ask a more general question about patching sources.

I'm planning to upgrade sarge to etch remotely. The tricky point for me
is to include a driver for the RAID card on the box (Adaptec
ASR-2420SA). Etch does not support this card as reported in 2/2007 on
this list. Indeed, checking aacraid.h in
linux-2.6.18/drivers/scsi/aacraid shows the AAC_DRIVER_BUILD to be 2409
where the later 2420 is needed (and available from adaptec.com).

Previously I simply overwrote the old /drivers/scsi/aacraid source files
with the new ones and recompiled the kernel.

Is there a better way to do this? Should I check later versions of the
kernel to see when/if the updated driver entered the kernel source? And
if I do that, is there a Debian way to use a newer kernel while keeping
everything else rock-solid stable?

Any pointers, even if just to appropriate docs, is greatly appreciated.

mark

Sven Joachim 11-06-2008 04:26 PM

On 2008-11-05 22:20 +0100, Mark Copper wrote:

> I posted 2 days ago on this old, old topic, but am posting separately
> now to ask a more general question about patching sources.
>
> I'm planning to upgrade sarge to etch remotely. The tricky point for me
> is to include a driver for the RAID card on the box (Adaptec
> ASR-2420SA).

I suppose that should read AAR-2420SA?

> Etch does not support this card as reported in 2/2007 on
> this list. Indeed, checking aacraid.h in
> linux-2.6.18/drivers/scsi/aacraid shows the AAC_DRIVER_BUILD to be 2409
> where the later 2420 is needed (and available from adaptec.com).
>
> Previously I simply overwrote the old /drivers/scsi/aacraid source files
> with the new ones and recompiled the kernel.
>
> Is there a better way to do this? Should I check later versions of the
> kernel to see when/if the updated driver entered the kernel source?

Yes, especially 2.6.24 which is available in etch.

> And
> if I do that, is there a Debian way to use a newer kernel while keeping
> everything else rock-solid stable?

The easiest way is to use a linux-image-2.6-something package from
backports.org. Note that third-party modules included in Debian stable
will often not build against newer kernels.

Sven

Mark Copper 11-06-2008 07:29 PM

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:26:52PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-11-05 22:20 +0100, Mark Copper wrote:
>

> > I'm planning to upgrade sarge to etch remotely. The tricky point for me
> > is to include a driver for the RAID card on the box (Adaptec
> > ASR-2420SA).
>
> I suppose that should read AAR-2420SA?

Yes, at least that's what's printed on the box. However, the output of
lspci -v lists the subsystem as Adaptec ASR-2420SA.