Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default CLI Image viewer: top left, no resize.

I need to test a new LCD monitor. What program can display a png image
with the top left pixel of the image in the top left pixel of the
screen, without resizing the image? Thus, if the image is larger than
the screen the bottom and right will be cut off. A CLI approach would
be best. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
"Mike Castle"

2008/11/5 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> I need to test a new LCD monitor. What program can display a png image
> with the top left pixel of the image in the top left pixel of the
> screen, without resizing the image? Thus, if the image is larger than
> the screen the bottom and right will be cut off. A CLI approach would
> be best. Thanks.

I'd probably go with xli or xloadimage.

mrc

Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 04:28:30PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to test a new LCD monitor. What program can display a png image
> with the top left pixel of the image in the top left pixel of the
> screen, without resizing the image? Thus, if the image is larger than
> the screen the bottom and right will be cut off. A CLI approach would
> be best. Thanks.

Since your discription precludes a window border, I'd suggest something
that puts an image on the root window, with a window manager that gets
right out of your way (e.g. no toolbar) such as (I think) openbox (one
of the 'boxen at least).

Doug.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/5 Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 04:28:30PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I need to test a new LCD monitor. What program can display a png image
>> with the top left pixel of the image in the top left pixel of the
>> screen, without resizing the image? Thus, if the image is larger than
>> the screen the bottom and right will be cut off. A CLI approach would
>> be best. Thanks.
>
> Since your discription precludes a window border, I'd suggest something
> that puts an image on the root window, with a window manager that gets
> right out of your way (e.g. no toolbar) such as (I think) openbox (one
> of the 'boxen at least).

Thanks, you are right. xli and xloadimage both display borders. It
seems that xloadimage has a onroot option, but I could not get it to
display an image with onroot.

I would really rather not install another windows manager on this poor
girl's computer, is there another option? I don't mind a GUI app if
need be, but I cannot find anything that does what I thought would be
a rather simple function!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/5 Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de>:
> Is there any window manager installed?

Yes, KDE 3.5.10

> If yes, you could try gpicview (in lenny). It has a windows border, but
> if you click "1" for no resizing and then the fullscreen icon for
> fullscreen, it will fill the screen (except for the scrol bars to the
> right and bottom)

Unfortunately, those scrollbars interfere.

> On etch there is also gqview, which is less heavy than others. Here '1'
> and 'f' switch to 1:1 and fullscreen, respectively. Use the arrow keys
> to get the top right corner right.

That's it! This does exactly what I need! Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Jeff Pugh

If I understand what you ask correctly, you can apt-get install zgv,
It's a cli tool I just learned about, reading the linux cookbook.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
"S.D.Allen"

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 03:03:39 -0600, Jeff Pugh in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> If I understand what you ask correctly, you can apt-get install zgv,
> It's a cli tool I just learned about, reading the linux cookbook.

Doesn't it require "X" ?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Jeff Pugh

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 03:03:39 -0600, Jeff Pugh in
>gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> If I understand what you ask correctly, you can apt-get install zgv,
> It's a cli tool I just learned about, reading the linux cookbook.

>Doesn't it require "X" ?

No, and I was amazed at the picture quality.

$ apt-cache search zgv
Package: zgv
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 512
Maintainer: Christian Haggstrom <c00chm@cs.umu.se>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.9-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libjpeg62, libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel),
libsvga1, libtiff4, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
Conflicts: svgalib1-libggi2
Filename: pool/main/z/zgv/zgv_5.9-2_i386.deb
Size: 241872
MD5sum: 2fbae131151072d1f8e68f3a989efc87
SHA1: d8e955f6eb4852e413c85277d9277cb40c1ebe89
SHA256: b53f8761a01b7c1ffc32a91f611b24b6b37f84321599121eea 220883e5184c3c
'zgv' is a graphics viewer, based around SVGAlib, which can display
GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG/JFIF, PNG, PBM/PGM/PPM, BMP, and TGA files on a
standard VGA and most SVGAs. It can be used to view single files from
the command line (like 'zgv filename'), but also includes a full-screen
file selector and slide show capability.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
"S.D.Allen"

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:43:17 -0600, Jeff Pugh in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>>On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 03:03:39 -0600, Jeff Pugh in
>>gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>> If I understand what you ask correctly, you can apt-get install zgv,
>> It's a cli tool I just learned about, reading the linux cookbook.
>
>>Doesn't it require "X" ?
>
> No, and I was amazed at the picture quality.
>
> $ apt-cache search zgv
> Package: zgv
> Section: graphics
> Installed-Size: 512
> Maintainer: Christian Haggstrom <c00chm@cs.umu.se>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 5.9-2
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libjpeg62, libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel),
> libsvga1, libtiff4, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
> Conflicts: svgalib1-libggi2
> Filename: pool/main/z/zgv/zgv_5.9-2_i386.deb
> Size: 241872
> MD5sum: 2fbae131151072d1f8e68f3a989efc87
> SHA1: d8e955f6eb4852e413c85277d9277cb40c1ebe89
> SHA256: b53f8761a01b7c1ffc32a91f611b24b6b37f84321599121eea 220883e5184c3c
> 'zgv' is a graphics viewer, based around SVGAlib, which can display
> GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG/JFIF, PNG, PBM/PGM/PPM, BMP, and TGA files on a
> standard VGA and most SVGAs. It can be used to view single files from
> the command line (like 'zgv filename'), but also includes a full-screen
> file selector and slide show capability.

Interesting; On my Lenny box -- 'aptitude show' says "Not a real Package" LOL

But;

aptitude search zgv
p xzgv - Picture viewer for X with a thumbnail-based selector

Now my question is; Which Debian distro is it available from ?

Thanks.