Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Default Canon Lide 35 not working

Hello everyone

I can't get my scanner (Canon Lide 35) to work on my Debian testing system.

I've reinstalled:
libsane (1.0.19-21), libsane-extras (1.0.19.11), sane (1.0.14-7), xsane
(0.995-6) and xsane-common (0.995-6)

But it doesn't change anything. I've tried to boot up on a Ubuntu live
cd (8.10) and here it does work. Any ideas to move forward would be very
much appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk> [2008 Nov 04 17:16 -0600]:
> Hello everyone
>
> I can't get my scanner (Canon Lide 35) to work on my Debian testing system.
>
> I've reinstalled:
> libsane (1.0.19-21), libsane-extras (1.0.19.11), sane (1.0.14-7), xsane
> (0.995-6) and xsane-common (0.995-6)
>
> But it doesn't change anything. I've tried to boot up on a Ubuntu live
> cd (8.10) and here it does work. Any ideas to move forward would be very
> much appreciated.

I have an LIDE 40 that I use with Kooka (KDE scanning tool). I haven't
used it for some time but you might give it a try. According to
aptitude it doesn't use the SANE packages but I do know it uses a
kernel model.

- Nate >>

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Nate Bargmann skrev:

Hello everyone

I can't get my scanner (Canon Lide 35) to work on my Debian testing system.

I've reinstalled:
libsane (1.0.19-21), libsane-extras (1.0.19.11), sane (1.0.14-7), xsane
(0.995-6) and xsane-common (0.995-6)

But it doesn't change anything. I've tried to boot up on a Ubuntu live
cd (8.10) and here it does work. Any ideas to move forward would be very
much appreciated.

I have an LIDE 40 that I use with Kooka (KDE scanning tool). I haven't
used it for some time but you might give it a try. According to
aptitude it doesn't use the SANE packages but I do know it uses a
kernel model.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I not sure what it did, but now both
Xsane and Kooka works but only if I run them as root.

Does scanning only works if I'm root or is there a way to fix this?

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:40:34 +0100
Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk> wrote:

Hello Allan,

> Does scanning only works if I'm root or is there a way to fix this?

It /should/ work for anyone that's a member of the group "scanner".
Check whether your user is in that group. IIRC, I had to add myself as
Debian didn't do it for me at install time. Probably because there
wasn't a scanner attached at the time.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Your father was a megalomaniac, you've got an insane brother
Pure Mania - The Vibrators

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Brad Rogers skrev:

Does scanning only works if I'm root or is there a way to fix this?

It /should/ work for anyone that's a member of the group "scanner".
Check whether your user is in that group. IIRC, I had to add myself as
Debian didn't do it for me at install time. Probably because there
wasn't a scanner attached at the time.

Thanks a lot Brad, your solution did solve my problem.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:28:15 +0100
Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk> wrote:

Hello Allan,

> Thanks a lot Brad, your solution did solve my problem.

You're very welcome, Allan.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

No guarantee the stimuli must be perceived the same...
Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> [2008 Nov 05 04:02 -0600]:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:28:15 +0100
> Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk> wrote:
>
> Hello Allan,
>
> > Thanks a lot Brad, your solution did solve my problem.
>
> You're very welcome, Allan.

Glad I was able to help in some small way by suggesting an alternate.
BTW, I checked and mine is an LIDE 30, not 40. D'oh!

Typically, when something can be done as root and not as a normal user
there is a permissions problem. I too have my user as a member of the
scanner group as well as several others.

This reminds me of the way I did things when I started out on Slackware
many years ago. Groups weren't used as extensively as in Debian and I
spent a lot time making this binary SETUID root or that one and it was
a mess. It took me a while to figure out that such wasn't necessary in
Debian as groups are heavily used to maintain access control. This use
of groups is an important bit of knowledge for the new Debian
administrator.

- Nate >>