Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Dialup connection timer (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/187820-dialup-connection-timer.html)

"Dotan Cohen" 11-04-2008 07:02 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
less technical user. Thanks in advance.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-05-2008 01:12 AM

Dialup connection timer
 
On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:02:35PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
> less technical user. Thanks in advance.

Its not GUI, but a simple way would be to add a script to the -up and
-down ppp directories that just puts the output of date to the end of a
file with a comment like "dialup on" and "dialup off". Let the less
technical user be able to read this file and they can do the math.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Dotan Cohen" 11-05-2008 07:48 AM

Dialup connection timer
 
2008/11/5 Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:02:35PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
>> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
>> less technical user. Thanks in advance.
>
> Its not GUI, but a simple way would be to add a script to the -up and
> -down ppp directories that just puts the output of date to the end of a
> file with a comment like "dialup on" and "dialup off". Let the less
> technical user be able to read this file and they can do the math.
>
> Doug.
>

Thanks, Doug, but this would not work in the case of accidental
disconnects, which are frequent with dial-up.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-05-2008 04:46 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:48:33AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:02:35PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
> >> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
> >> less technical user. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Its not GUI, but a simple way would be to add a script to the -up and
> > -down ppp directories that just puts the output of date to the end of a
> > file with a comment like "dialup on" and "dialup off". Let the less
> > technical user be able to read this file and they can do the math.
>
> Thanks, Doug, but this would not work in the case of accidental
> disconnects, which are frequent with dial-up.

Are you saying that /etc/ppp/ip-down isn't run if you unplug the phone
wire? I've never had that problem. As for handling accidental
disconnects, there's the pppd persist option.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Dotan Cohen" 11-05-2008 05:35 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
2008/11/5 Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
> Are you saying that /etc/ppp/ip-down isn't run if you unplug the phone
> wire? I've never had that problem. As for handling accidental
> disconnects, there's the pppd persist option.
>

Er, I really don't know! I'll pass that info on, thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

John Hasler 11-05-2008 05:58 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
Dotan Cohen writes:
> Thanks, Doug, but this would not work in the case of accidental
> disconnects...

Yes it would. The scripts in ip-down.d run when the link goes down for any
reason.

--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-05-2008 06:01 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
Dotan Cohen wrote:

Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
less technical user. Thanks in advance.



http://packages.debian.org/sid/wmppp.app

exists in all distributions.

Right now mine shows 00:00 and just now the connection bit the dust:

Nov 5 13:00:09 debian pppd[22747]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid
23040), status = 0x0



Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Sjoerd Hiemstra 11-05-2008 09:14 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
> less technical user. Thanks in advance.

pppcost seems to be what you are looking for.
Haven't tried it though.
There's a screenshot here:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/pppcost/

The Debian package on this page is an older version.
Download of newer pppcost + required pppcounter is here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=67563


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

John Hasler 11-05-2008 09:25 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
> less technical user. Thanks in advance.

You might look at pppstatus.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Carl Johnson 11-05-2008 09:30 PM

Dialup connection timer
 
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/11/5 Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:02:35PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Is there any GUI-based software for timing how long one has been
> >> connected to dialup? I have found wvdial but I need something for a
> >> less technical user. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Its not GUI, but a simple way would be to add a script to the -up and
> > -down ppp directories that just puts the output of date to the end of a
> > file with a comment like "dialup on" and "dialup off". Let the less
> > technical user be able to read this file and they can do the math.
>
> Thanks, Doug, but this would not work in the case of accidental
> disconnects, which are frequent with dial-up.

The gkrellm program includes a networking timer which can connect to
ppp, so that will work. It also has a number of other functions, so
it may be overkill for just a dialup timer. It may have the same
problem with disconnects, but it does total time and bytes for days,
weeks, and months.

--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.