Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
"Rodrigo Cosme"

Default Problem with file perms

Hi, all.

Here is the deal. I tried to restart syslogd after a minor change in the configuration file and for some reason the log daemon won't start anymore. The initialization messages* show that there's something wrong with two files: klogd.pid and syslogd.pid. Executing "ls -l" inside /var/run I get:

?--------- ? ?**** ?******** ?***************** ? klogd.pid
?--------- ? ?**** ?******** ?***************** ? syslogd.pid
drwxr-xr-x 2 root* root * 4096** Jul * 10 * 00:07* sshd
(and so on)

I can't* write, remove or do anything with these archives. As you can see, if I exec "ls" they are listed, but if I exec "vim /var/run", these files are not there.

Can anyone point me in the rigth direction?

MSN - rdccosmo@gmail.com

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 04 November 2008, "Rodrigo Cosme" <rdccosmo@gmail.com> wrote
about 'Problem with file perms':
> Executing "ls -l" inside
> /var/run I get:
>
>?--------- ? ? ? ? ? klogd.pid
>?--------- ? ? ? ? ? syslogd.pid
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 10 00:07 sshd
>(and so on)

If you are getting this output as root, I'd fsck your filesystem.

It's also possible that extended attributes are tripping up ls. I've not
dealt with them myself, but I believe there's as lsattr command for
viewing them and a chattr command for modifying them.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 AM
"s. keeling"

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@volumehost.net>:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008, "Rodrigo Cosme" <rdccosmo@gmail.com> wrote=20
> about 'Problem with file perms':
> > Executing "ls -l" inside
> > /var/run I get:

> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? syslogd.pid
> >drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 10 00:07 sshd
> >(and so on)
>
> If you are getting this output as root, I'd fsck your filesystem.

Agree. Those are all 644 on my etch system (rw-r--r--), and that does
appear to be fs confusion.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
"Rodrigo Cosme"

Well, if the problem happens again I'll try that. For now I couldn't help but use the good and old reinstall. But thanks to you all for the help.