Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default how to disable unused sound chip

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450

That is my video card, running non-free drivers for it just fine.
Unfortunately this card also has a

Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx
Series]

Which is unused by both the card (no audio output on the video card) and
myself, which is detected and selected as an audio device at boot.

Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2) <--this is my MB sound chip which is used by me.

My bios does not allow me to set anything but disable the onboard sound
card.

How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>

Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Juha Tuuna

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
> and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?

Try /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
Add the ATI module to the list, that should do it.

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 18:07 +0200, Juha Tuuna wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
> > and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?
>
> Try /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> Add the ATI module to the list, that should do it.
>
> --
> Juha Tuuna

Juha,

Yes, that worked. Just to make a close loop, I am posting what I did
here:

lsmod did not show any ati driver for anything, but did show
snd_ha_intel and since I know I am not running an intel sound chip and
the sound device is listed as ATI HA with lspci, I ran rmmod
snd_ha_intel and I had sound.

I added "blacklist snd_ha_intel" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
rebooted. It came up with sound, and my selected "sound device" for
gkrellm volume was still active (previously, gkrellm would not have any
volume controls after a reboot).

Thanks!

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>

Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Bob

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

How to I use udev (and hotplug?) to disable this unused ATI sound chip
and to select my onboard Nvidia sound chip?

Try /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
Add the ATI module to the list, that should do it.

Juha,

Yes, that worked. Just to make a close loop, I am posting what I did
here:

lsmod did not show any ati driver for anything, but did show
snd_ha_intel and since I know I am not running an intel sound chip and
the sound device is listed as ATI HA with lspci, I ran rmmod
snd_ha_intel and I had sound.

I added "blacklist snd_ha_intel" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
rebooted. It came up with sound, and my selected "sound device" for
gkrellm volume was still active (previously, gkrellm would not have any
volume controls after a reboot).

Another solution would be not to disable / blacklist it but to stop it
from becoming the
default sound device by putting a line at the bottom of
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base like this

options snd-ha-intel index=-2

I have to do something similar to stop the microphone in my webcam from
randomly becoming master, it has the advantage that you can still use
the device when / if you want / need.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 13:58 +1000, Bob wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> >> Try /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> >> Add the ATI module to the list, that should do it.
> >>

> > Juha,
> >
> > Yes, that worked. Just to make a close loop, I am posting what I did
> > here:
> >
> > lsmod did not show any ati driver for anything, but did show
> > snd_ha_intel and since I know I am not running an intel sound chip and
> > the sound device is listed as ATI HA with lspci, I ran rmmod
> > snd_ha_intel and I had sound.
> >
> > I added "blacklist snd_ha_intel" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
> > rebooted. It came up with sound, and my selected "sound device" for
> > gkrellm volume was still active (previously, gkrellm would not have any
> > volume controls after a reboot).
> >

> Another solution would be not to disable / blacklist it but to stop it
> from becoming the
> default sound device by putting a line at the bottom of
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base like this
>
> options snd-ha-intel index=-2
>
> I have to do something similar to stop the microphone in my webcam from
> randomly becoming master, it has the advantage that you can still use
> the device when / if you want / need.
>
> Good luck

Bob,

Yes, that also worked just fine. The only problem remaining is my
volume plugin for gkrellm does not come back up with my controls
enabled: After every reboot, I have to reconfigure the plug in to have
volume sliders for Master, PCM, CD, etc etc. This happens if I
blacklist it or set alsa priority to -2

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>

Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Bob

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

8< big snip 8<

Bob,

Yes, that also worked just fine. The only problem remaining is my
volume plugin for gkrellm does not come back up with my controls
enabled: After every reboot, I have to reconfigure the plug in to have
volume sliders for Master, PCM, CD, etc etc. This happens if I
blacklist it or set alsa priority to -2

Mmm I don't use that package so I don't know, there seem to be a couple
of potentially relevant bug reports, have a look and potentially file a
new one.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gkrellm-volume

Do you have a spare graphics card that doesn't have an onboard sound
function you can temporarily swap in to help pin down the problem?

Good luck.