Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 AM
"Thomas H. George"

Default grub with sata drives? - Progress

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 03:00:56PM -0600, elijah rutschman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> > I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb. I
> > installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> As far as I know, grub doesn't use the Linux /dev/ nodes to access
> disks. The syntax for both IDE and SATA drives should be the same for
> your menu.lst, so something along the lines of groot=(hd0,0). Since
> you are using the secondary drive (in Linux, /dev/sdb) I guess it
> would probably be groot=(hd1,0). You'd still want kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
> as it is though, since that parameter is intended for the kernel and
> not the bootloader.
>
> -Elijah

Well groot=(hd2,0) works - that is, when trying to boot I now get a
message:

root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro

Error 15: File not found

Needless to say I have tried all sorts of variants in place of sdb1
without success. This is particularly frustrating as I can boot the
sytem with lilo with root=/dev/sdb1 specified in lilo.conf. That is to
say I can boot the system with lilo using kernel image
vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64. lilo will not boot with kernel image
vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 because initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64 is too large.
That is why I am trying to use grub and - yes - I have tried grub with
the vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel image with the same results cited
above.

Tom

Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Thomas H. George wrote:

[...]

Is your /boot on a separate partition?

Please post more information on your partition layout. At the very least
mention the partition of your /boot and the total number of disks in
your system. You mentioned having two SATA drives, but do you also have
any IDE drives?

The 'groot=<dev>' line in menu.lst should be commented out with a single
'#'. update-grub uses this line to figure out the partition where your
/boot is located. If your /boot is on a dedicated partition, then the
kernel would be found in the root of that filesystem. So the kernel line
should read:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1

If you are able to get to a grub prompt while booting, you can manually
specify the kernel and vmlinuz and use <tab> for autocomplete.

At the grub prompt, press 'c' to get to the console.

type root (hd<tab>

that should list all the drives. Select the appropriate number, and
press <tab> to list the paritions. Select the partition that makes most
sense.

type 'kernel /<tab>' and use tabcompletion to point grub to the correct
kernel and initrd.

Once you have all the needed info, you can modify menu.lst appropriately.

good luck.

-- Albert Einstein