-   -   No pata_marvell in debian lenny installer? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/187238-no-pata_marvell-debian-lenny-installer.html)

"Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" 11-03-2008 11:18 PM

No pata_marvell in debian lenny installer?

I'm trying to install Debian on my new system, using an Asus P5K
SE/EPU motherboard. The SATA hard disk is perfectly recognized by the
debian lenny installer (business card, daily build), but my CD-ROM,
which is IDE, simply does not get recognized.

Booting an Ubuntu Live CD, if figured out that I need the pata_marvell
module for it to work, but it seems the debian lenny installer does
not come with that module. Curiously, the Ubuntu kernel is older
(2.6.24) than the one in the installer (2.6.26), and the module seems
to be included in the linux-image-2.6.26 package in lenny/sid.

The network card also has not been recognized, even though Ubuntu is
very happy about it. I could not figure out what module is necessary,
but it is a
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

Any clues? It seems I'll have to resort to debootstrap from Ubuntu to
install the system.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Florian Kulzer 11-04-2008 05:03 PM

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 22:18:28 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian on my new system, using an Asus P5K SE/EPU
> motherboard. The SATA hard disk is perfectly recognized by the debian
> lenny installer (business card, daily build), but my CD-ROM, which is
> IDE, simply does not get recognized.
>
> Booting an Ubuntu Live CD, if figured out that I need the pata_marvell
> module for it to work, but it seems the debian lenny installer does not
> come with that module. Curiously, the Ubuntu kernel is older (2.6.24)
> than the one in the installer (2.6.26), and the module seems to be
> included in the linux-image-2.6.26 package in lenny/sid.

IIRC, the installer allows you to switch to a VT and run lsmod. Check
which pata module is used, try to blacklist it if it is the wrong one.
Check "modinfo pata_marvell" to see if that one is available. If I am
not mistaken, running the installer in expert mode lets you select which
modules will and will not get loaded, or you can try the
module_name.blacklist=yes boot parameter to avoid loading problematic
modules.

> The network card also has not been recognized, even though Ubuntu is
> very happy about it. I could not figure out what module is necessary,
> but it is a
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
> Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

There are two devices with that name in the pci.ids table, one with the
numerical IDs [1969:1026] and the other with [1969:1048]. Which one do
you have? Check with "lspci -nn", or even better, "lspci -knn" on the
Ubuntu system to see which driver it uses. It should be either atl1e or
atl1. Try to modprobe the correct one with the Debian installer and
check dmesg for errors.

Florian |

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 11-04-2008 05:39 PM

Florian Kulzer escreveu:
> IIRC, the installer allows you to switch to a VT and run lsmod. Check
> which pata module is used, try to blacklist it if it is the wrong one.
> Check "modinfo pata_marvell" to see if that one is available. If I am
> not mistaken, running the installer in expert mode lets you select which
> modules will and will not get loaded, or you can try the
> module_name.blacklist=yes boot parameter to avoid loading problematic
> modules.

I've not tried with blacklisting. However, I did try loading that
module, and it appears not to exist. The corresponding file could not be
found in /lib/modules. Perhaps I'll try again when I'm home.

> There are two devices with that name in the pci.ids table, one with the
> numerical IDs [1969:1026] and the other with [1969:1048]. Which one do
> you have? Check with "lspci -nn", or even better, "lspci -knn" on the
> Ubuntu system to see which driver it uses. It should be either atl1e or
> atl1. Try to modprobe the correct one with the Debian installer and
> check dmesg for errors.

-k is the option I was looking for, thanks for this tip.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Florian Kulzer 11-04-2008 06:20 PM

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 16:39:10 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Florian Kulzer escreveu:
> > IIRC, the installer allows you to switch to a VT and run lsmod. Check
> > which pata module is used, try to blacklist it if it is the wrong one.
> > Check "modinfo pata_marvell" to see if that one is available. If I am
> > not mistaken, running the installer in expert mode lets you select which
> > modules will and will not get loaded, or you can try the
> > module_name.blacklist=yes boot parameter to avoid loading problematic
> > modules.
>
> I've not tried with blacklisting. However, I did try loading that
> module, and it appears not to exist. The corresponding file could not be
> found in /lib/modules. Perhaps I'll try again when I'm home.

I just downloaded the current Lenny beta2 businesscard CD images for
i386 and amd64. The pata-modules-2.6.24-1-*.udeb contains
pata_marvell.ko in both cases. Is that module offered as a possible
selection to load if you run the installer in expert mode?

Florian |

"Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" 11-04-2008 08:56 PM

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008, "Florian Kulzer" wrote:

I just downloaded the current Lenny beta2 businesscard CD images for
i386 and amd64. The pata-modules-2.6.24-1-*.udeb contains
pata_marvell.ko in both cases. Is that module offered as a possible
selection to load if you run the installer in expert mode?

No, it's not. The only options are 'none' and 'cdrom'. Moreover, going
to a console and modprobe'ing pata_marvell results in 'module not
found' (or something similar), and

find /lib/modules -iname '*pata*'

returns only pata_sis.ko.

I've almost successfully installed the system with debootstrap. The
only thing not working is that my encrypted disk is not being opened
(and thus no root fs, and no system). But I think I know what I did
wrong. If not, I'll soon start another thread. :-)

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

"Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" 11-04-2008 09:17 PM

On Ter, 04 Nov 2008, "Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" wrote:
I've almost successfully installed the system with debootstrap. The
only thing not working is that my encrypted disk is not being opened
(and thus no root fs, and no system). But I think I know what I did
wrong. If not, I'll soon start another thread. :-)

And success. While I had created a /etc/crypttab file, I did that only
after generating the initrd, so it was not included. Regenerating the
initrd fixed it.

I've booted in the new system, network and cdrom are working (and I
had to do nothing special for that).

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br