Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
"elijah rutschman"

Default grub with sata drives?

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb. I
> installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst:

As far as I know, grub doesn't use the Linux /dev/ nodes to access
disks. The syntax for both IDE and SATA drives should be the same for
your menu.lst, so something along the lines of groot=(hd0,0). Since
you are using the secondary drive (in Linux, /dev/sdb) I guess it
would probably be groot=(hd1,0). You'd still want kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
as it is though, since that parameter is intended for the kernel and
not the bootloader.

-Elijah

Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Shams fantar

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb. I
> installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
> groot=(sdb,0)
>
> and ran update-grub.

Which is the outpout message of the update-grub ?

> Next I tried to boot the system and got the splash screen with my
> kernels listed but then a message:
>
> root (sdb,0)
> Error 23: Error while parsing number
>
> I have tried using grub's line completion to find a correct entry for
> groot. If I enter:
>
> grub> groot=(sd
>
> followed by a tab I get:
>
> groot=(sdiff)
>
> If I try groot=(hd
>
> followed by a tab I get nothing.

Anyway, if you have SATA/SCSI disks, debian (or Linux, in general) calls
them sd* (sda, sdb). Because hd* is for ATA disks.

> Surely there must be many users booting from sata drives so there must
> be a simple solution to my problem but a google search finds numerous
> instructions for booting with grub but all the examples appear to be for
> ide hard drives - that is groot=(hd0,0).

I don't understand why it's "groot" and not "root" ?

Like this :

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-486
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-486 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-486

At boot, when you get "error 23", you should type "e" two times. Try
other values for "root=(sdb,0) " and type "b". Do again this
manipulation if you need.

--
http://snurf.info
"Civil Engineering section" project : http://civil-e-section.org

Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Thilo Six

Thomas H. George wrote the following on 03.11.2008 21:28

> I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb. I
> installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
> groot=(sdb,0)

<- *snip* ->

> Help,
> Tom

$ cat /boot/grub/device.map
$ man grub-install

HTH

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 03 November 2008, "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote
about 'grub with sata drives?':
>I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb. I
>installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
>/boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
>kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
>groot=(sdb,0)

GRUB loads before Linux, so it doesn't use the names Linux assigns to the
devices. ALL hard drives that are available to GRUB are (hd?) and ALL
partitions are (hd?,?). There's no difference between IDE, SCSI, PATA,
SATA, etc.

If you get to a 'grub> ' command-line *during the boot process* (GRUB's
device.map is never generated correctly on my system, so I ignore it), you
can type root (hd<TAB><TAB> to get a list of drives and partitions that
GRUB can use as a root device.

Also, (and I only mention this because it's not clear from your mail that
you understand it) 'kopt' and 'groot' are "commands" to the
debian-specific update-grub program and should a) have a single '#' in
front of them and b) be between the ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST ###
and ### END AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST ### lines (as documented in menu.lst;
read the comments). GRUB itself will not recognize these "commands"
either in menu.lst or at the 'grub> ' prompt.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))