Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
"Alan Hutchinson"

Default owner permissions

Hi I am using Debian-lenny beta 2 ,and I don't no how to get "owner permissions" so that I can download ndiswrapper and install it,I have bean reading the "Gconf help" files but sadly that was not much help, and also the reason that I am sending you this email is I cant or don't seam to be getting contract with the other users,I have sent several users emails and I don't get Anne feedback at all it is really frustrating, thank you.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:32:00 -0800, Alan Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi I am using Debian-lenny beta 2 ,and I don't no how to get "owner
> permissions" so that I can download ndiswrapper and install it,I have bean
> reading the "Gconf help" files but sadly that was not much help, and also
> the reason that I am sending you this email is I cant or don't seam to be
> getting contract with the other users,I have sent several users emails and I
> don't get Anne feedback at all it is really frustrating, thank you.

We seem to be having a communications problem. I received the message
that you sent to me on October the 16th and I did send you a response.
Check your spam folder, maybe Gmail is doing something stupid. Other
people may not respond to private messages at all as a matter of
principle or because their spam filter eliminates them.

I copy my last response below and I CC you directly in the hope that
this message will somehow reach you. If you keep having problems
interacting with this list then I suggest that you try the Gmane
interface as I explained in the previous message.

---------- BEGIN PREVIOUS MESSAGE --------------------------------------

Hi Alan,

If you want to edit system files then you need root privileges.

If you want to use a graphical text editor (or any other Xorg program)
then you can install the "sux" package. It gives you a command that
allows you to become root and use your normal user's Xorg session. So
you can open a window terminal (xterm, gnome terminal, KDE's konsole,
whatever your like) and run:

sux
gedit

Then you will run gedit as root and you can open, change and save
sources.list. You can of course another editor instead of gedit if you
prefer.

Another option is to use the gksu package which is a graphical frontend
for the "su" command. I think it might be installed on Gnome by default
and be available in a menu somewhere. (I hardly know Gnome because I use
KDE.)

If you know how to use a standard text editor (one that does not need X)
then you can just use "su" on the command line to become root and then
run the editor.

Are you sure that you have to change sources.list to install
ndiswrapper? As far as I can tell, all necessary packages are in the
normal ("main") Debian repository. Be aware that the utils package has a
different name on Lenny; see my last reply on the debian-user list:

If you cannot solve your problems with ndiswrapper then you are welcome
to ask more details, but please send your message to the debian-user
list instead of my personal address.

If you find it uncomfortable to use your normal email program or webmail
with the Debian lists then you can use a portal such as Gmane to
continue the discussion:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/335591/focus=335754

(The --Action-- pull down menu to the right allows you to post a
followup message to the list.)

---------- END PREVIOUS MESSAGE ----------------------------------------

Florian |

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
"Alan Hutchinson"

Hi Florian I got your email and I am pleased to say that I have don another install, and this time the P/C was hooked up to my home cable network that I just built recently So the O/S is installed properly and I done what you said,check the synaptic package manager,and low and behold there is was "ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 I have not yet installed it but I will very soon,I want to read up on the help files that you sent me,just to make shure that I do every thing in accordance with the help files,I also checked the spam folder that you suggested and I could not find any email that you said might be in there, but like you said the email program might not be working as it should,So with that said, I have ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 in the synaptic package manger ready for install,and you are right about "owner permissions" or root permissions,

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * best regards Florian.

--

Regards, * * * * * *| http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer

* * * * *Florian * |

Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Alan Hutchinson

Hi there, so sorry that I did not get back to you sooner , believe it or not I have bean locked out of my G-mail for about two years don't ask me why or how for that matter, the most important thing is I am back, there has bean quite a lot of changes since the last time I talked to you, one of them being ,I have bean getting in to borne shell,and all so I have bean trying to install a wireless card,but sadly that did not work, I ran into ndiswrapper con fig problems, I joined the V-lug in Victoria,B.C that was a much use as a broken stick. B.F.N