Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Paul Cartwright

Default ecryptfs

I was reading a ubuntu how-to on ecryptfs ( for my laptop) and was
interested in installing it on my Debian desktop. the ecryptfs-utils app
installed just fine, but there was no user program
(ecryptfs-setup-private ), per this doc:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory

to create the user encrypted folder. man ecryptfs doesn't show any
examples, so I am at a loss as to how to create a user encrypted folder,
or is that possible in Debian?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Bob Cox

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 06:46:30 -0500, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> I was reading a ubuntu how-to on ecryptfs ( for my laptop) and was
> interested in installing it on my Debian desktop. the ecryptfs-utils app
> installed just fine, but there was no user program
> (ecryptfs-setup-private ), per this doc:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory
>
> to create the user encrypted folder. man ecryptfs doesn't show any
> examples, so I am at a loss as to how to create a user encrypted folder,
> or is that possible in Debian?

Hi Paul - I know nothing about ecryptfs, although it sounds interesting.
However, ecryptfs-setup-private *should* be there according to apt-file:

bob@trantor:~$ apt-file search ecryptfs-setup-private
ecryptfs-utils: /usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-private
ecryptfs-utils: /usr/share/man/man1/ecryptfs-setup-private.1.gz

This is with lenny.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Bob Cox

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 14:08:31 -0500, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> Bob Cox wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 06:46:30 -0500, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:
> >
> >> I was reading a ubuntu how-to on ecryptfs ( for my laptop) and was
> >> interested in installing it on my Debian desktop. the ecryptfs-utils app
> >> installed just fine, but there was no user program
> >> (ecryptfs-setup-private ), per this doc:
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory
> >>
> >> to create the user encrypted folder. man ecryptfs doesn't show any
> >> examples, so I am at a loss as to how to create a user encrypted folder,
> >> or is that possible in Debian?
> >
> > Hi Paul - I know nothing about ecryptfs, although it sounds interesting.
> > However, ecryptfs-setup-private *should* be there according to apt-file:
> >
> > bob@trantor:~$ apt-file search ecryptfs-setup-private
> > ecryptfs-utils: /usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-private
> > ecryptfs-utils: /usr/share/man/man1/ecryptfs-setup-private.1.gz
> >
> > This is with lenny.
> >

> looks like lenny changed the files to :
>
> /usr/bin/ecryptfs-mount-confidential
> and
> /usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-confidential
>
> I ran the setup, plugged in my login & passphrase, ran the mount, logged
> out & back in, and now have a ~/Private folder !
> so I now use keepass to keep my private passwords, and ecrypt to keep
> all the private files and folders..

Glad it worked ok in the end !

Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Paul Cartwright

Bob Cox wrote:
>>> bob@trantor:~$ apt-file search ecryptfs-setup-private
>>> ecryptfs-utils: /usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-private
>>> ecryptfs-utils: /usr/share/man/man1/ecryptfs-setup-private.1.gz
>>>
>>> This is with lenny.
>>>
>> looks like lenny changed the files to :
>>
>> /usr/bin/ecryptfs-mount-confidential
>> and
>> /usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-confidential
>>
>> I ran the setup, plugged in my login & passphrase, ran the mount, logged
>> out & back in, and now have a ~/Private folder !
>> so I now use keepass to keep my private passwords, and ecrypt to keep
>> all the private files and folders..
>
> Glad it worked ok in the end !

in this case it wasn't the MAN pages or google that helped. You got me
going inthe right direction by mentioning /usr/bin/ecrypt...
so I did an ls /usr/bin/ecrypt*
and noticed the correct files.

thanks !

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:50:31PM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> in this case it wasn't the MAN pages or google that helped. You got me
> going inthe right direction by mentioning /usr/bin/ecrypt...
> so I did an ls /usr/bin/ecrypt*
> and noticed the correct files.

$ dpkg -L ecryptfs-utils

or

$ dpkg -L ecryptfs-utils | grep man

is easier and more general for this purpose :-)

Anyway, this ecryptfs-utils seems interesting, thanks.

Osamu