Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default apt-get problem

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 06:32 -0500, stan wrote:
> If you are talking about the --fix-missing, I tried that, of course.

That and the apt-get update, which is also recommended.

I don't know why you think that I would assume that you "tried that, of
course": nothing in your post suggested that you did. And I would avoid
wasting your and my time with more complicated stuff before being sure
that you tried the simple things first.

It is the collective mailing list wisdom of decades that the person
asking for help is in general best off by stating 4 things:
* What he aims to achieve
* What he did
* What the exacts results were
* What he tried to correct them and with what effects
This gives helpers the best basis to work from.

So, you tried "apt-get upgrade --fix-missing". What was the output? And
did you also "apt-get update" before that?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
stan

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:00:28PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 06:32 -0500, stan wrote:
> > If you are talking about the --fix-missing, I tried that, of course.
>
> That and the apt-get update, which is also recommended.
>
> I don't know why you think that I would assume that you "tried that, of
> course": nothing in your post suggested that you did. And I would avoid
> wasting your and my time with more complicated stuff before being sure
> that you tried the simple things first.
>
> It is the collective mailing list wisdom of decades that the person
> asking for help is in general best off by stating 4 things:
> * What he aims to achieve
> * What he did
> * What the exacts results were
> * What he tried to correct them and with what effects
> This gives helpers the best basis to work from.
>
> So, you tried "apt-get upgrade --fix-missing". What was the output? And
> did you also "apt-get update" before that?

Here is the tail end of that output

Get:4 http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com gutsy-updates/main hplip-gui
2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1 [117kB]
Fetched 7660kB in 0s (9171kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com:9999/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip-data_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_all.deb
Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com:9999/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_amd64.deb
Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com:9999/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hpijs_2.7.7+2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_amd64.deb
Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com:9999/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip-gui_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_all.deb
Size mismatch

yest I did an apt-get update before that, and an apt-get clean before that,
since this may have been triggered by the disk fllling up, remeber?

programs.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 06:57 -0500, stan wrote:
> Here is the tail end of that output

Thanks.

> Get:4 http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com gutsy-updates/main hplip-gui
> 2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1 [117kB]
> Fetched 7660kB in 0s (9171kB/s)
> Failed to fetch
> http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com:9999/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip-data_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_all.deb
<snip>

Hmmm, if I try to access the http link to the deb (as given above) in
Firefox, or even try http://plabws1.meadwestvaco.com alone, I get a
simple "Firefox can't find the server at plabws1.meadwestvaco.com". If I
try to ping it, I get an unknown host. Guess the server is simply down.
I'd suggest to go to menu System -> Administration -> Software Sources
and choose a different server on the first tab of the window (download
from). The Software Sources window will resynchronize the package index
files (same as apt-get update). Then you can try the upgrade again, I
guess it will work.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 19:01 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I get a simple "Firefox can't find the server at
> plabws1.meadwestvaco.com". If I try to ping it, I get an unknown host.
> Guess the server is simply down.

That too, which complicated matters. But some other guy posted the same
problem last night, so I decided to google. Here is the bug report, as
of yet unresolved:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/300648. You can subscribe yourself
to the bug to be notified of changes, and you can change "This bug
doesn't affect me" to "affects me too" to let the developers know that
several (many) people are affected by this

Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Angelin Lalev

This is a partial output of apt-get update command, performed on my brand new
Debian 5.0 installation:

Ign http://ftp.egr.msu.edu lenny/main Packages

Ign http://ftp.egr.msu.edu lenny/main Sources
Err http://ftp.egr.msu.edu lenny/main Packages
* Connection failed
Err http://ftp.egr.msu.edu lenny/main Sources
* Connection failed
Fetched 93.1kB in 10s (9041B/s)
W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/lenny/Release.gpg* Connection
failed

W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/lenny/main/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2
Connection failed

W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/lenny/main/binary-i386/Packages
Connection failed

W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/lenny/main/source/Sources
Connection failed

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Is that an indication that the mirror is not ok, or I am doing something wrong.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Sjors Gielen

Angelin Lalev schreef:

This is a partial output of apt-get update command, performed on my brand new
Debian 5.0 installation:

[snip]

Is that an indication that the mirror is not ok, or I am doing something wrong.

You are using the ftp.egr.msu.edu mirror in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
It seems the mirror has gone offline and you may want to switch to
another one.

To do that, open your /etc/apt/sources.list in an editor as root, and
replace all instances of ftp.egr.msu.edu with another mirror, such as
ftp.debian.org.

Sjors

Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta

Use apt-get spy but read this about apt-get for the future...
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#pkgmgmt

Sjors Gielen wrote:

Angelin Lalev schreef:
This is a partial output of apt-get update command, performed on my
brand new

Debian 5.0 installation:

[snip]

Is that an indication that the mirror is not ok, or I am doing
something wrong.

You are using the ftp.egr.msu.edu mirror in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
It seems the mirror has gone offline and you may want to switch to
another one.

To do that, open your /etc/apt/sources.list in an editor as root, and
replace all instances of ftp.egr.msu.edu with another mirror, such as
ftp.debian.org.

Sjors

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
Ing. Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta <olafrv@gmail.com>

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
张峰

Hi, i found that when i use "sudo apt-get", whatever i install, it always shows that
"Reading package lists.... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package xxx "
How can i solve this problem?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
"David C. Curtis"

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 02:44 +0800, *峰 wrote:

> Hi, i found that when i use "sudo apt-get", whatever i install, it
> always shows that
> "Reading package lists.... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package xxx "
> How can i solve this problem?

Find out the correct name of the package you wish to install.

A good reference: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Nils Kassube

*峰 wrote:
> Hi, i found that when i use "sudo apt-get", whatever i install, it
> always shows that "Reading package lists.... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package xxx "
> How can i solve this problem?

In a previous mail you mentioned that you get errors with the command

sudo apt-get update

and as long as you have these errors the package list isn't updated.
Therefore you need to fix that problem first. Can you try another
mirror? The US mirror mentioned in your other mail may not be the best
one for your location. OTOH, you may have a bad proxy server
configuration according to what Alan Pope suggested.

Nils