Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Phillipus Gunawan

Default bandwidth control

Hi there,

I am looking a (debian) package to control bandwidth for my network
So far, the best candidate from googling is IPCop, which I havent try it yet.

I want to be able to control the bandwidth for each host (mix win, lin, mac)
The idea of IPCop is to have 2 or 3 (with DMZs) NIC and make the IPCop as gateway to control the traffic via web and to produce report as well

Hopefully debian has a similar package

Thanks for any advice in advance
Phill

Search 1000's of available singles in your area at the new Yahoo!7 Dating. Get Started http://au.dating.yahoo.com/?cid=53151&pid=1011

Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 03 November 2008, Phillipus Gunawan <mr_phillipus@yahoo.com>
wrote about 'bandwidth control':
>I am looking a (debian) package to control bandwidth for my network
>So far, the best candidate from googling is IPCop, which I havent try it
> yet.

I do bandwidth shaping using tc directly. You might want to read the Linux
Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO. I also use and recommend
using iptables directly for your firewall and ip for any special routing
needs.

I've also fiddled with existing Shorewall installations, and it seems quite
usable, although I still prefer the more direct, low-level interfaces.

tc and ip are part of the iproute package.
iptables is its own package.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))