Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Serena Cantor

Default how to use mencoder to record TV program

I have etch and install mplayer from debian-multimedia.
I can watch TV with command below:

mplayer -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480utfmt=i420 -vo xv tv://

Now I want to record TV program, which command can I use?
I wish the output is one to two megabytes per minute. And the output should be playable in Windows as well as in Linux.
producer from real can do in sarge.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Serena Cantor wrote:

> I have etch and install mplayer from debian-multimedia.
> I can watch TV with command below:
>
> mplayer -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480utfmt=i420 -vo xv tv://
>
> Now I want to record TV program, which command can I use?
> I wish the output is one to two megabytes per minute. And the output
> should be playable in Windows as well as in Linux. producer from real can
> do in sarge.

Install and use the mencoder command almost the same way as for watching
with mplayer. Consult man mplayer for option for both apps.

I've been using following script for analog TV. YOu can modify it or write
your own one

------- script start ------
#!/bin/bash

CH=$1

TV_DRV="driver=v4l2utfmt=yuy2:width=640:height=4 80"
TV_NORM="norm=PAL:normid=0:chanlist=europe-west"
TV_DEV="device=/dev/video0:input=0"

now_date=`date '+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S'`
mencoder -tv $TV_DRV:$TV_NORM:channel=$CH:$TV_DEV
-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vbitrate=1200:mbd=1:keyint=30 0
-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:abitrate=128
-vf scale,pp=lb,denoise3d -o ${now_date}.avi tv://
------- script end ------

regards

Old 11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Serena Cantor

Thanks! It's not easy to use mencoder. I copy and use your script, mencoder report error when parsing -tv option. Then I remove "channel=$CH" from -tv option, mencoder report "Unable to open /dev/dsp" and "0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames droped"

It's too hard to use, I'd rather give up.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Serena Cantor wrote:

> Thanks! It's not easy to use mencoder. I copy and use your script,
> mencoder report error when parsing -tv option. Then I remove "channel=$CH"
> from -tv option, mencoder report "Unable to open /dev/dsp" and "0 frames
> successfully processed, 0 frames droped"
>
> It's too hard to use, I'd rather give up.

You have to replace with your setup/configuration. The one I posted is meant
to be a shell script.

you have to specify a channel that you want to record this is the $CH
variable. I though as you've been working on command line you are familiar
with all this.

You can try the vdr (video disk recorder) package. There are interfaces for
different desktops like kde or gnome to schedule recordings.

I'm in Austria and here they switched to DTV broadcast so I'm using now
klear for recording, but I remember there was a tool to do analog recording
too but don't know what's the name the one I've tried is vdr with kvdr.

you may try

mencoder
driver=v4l:width=640:height=480utfmt=i420:audior ate=44100:amode=1:audioid=1:adevice=/dev/dsp1:norm=PAL:normid=0:chanlist=europe-west
tv://<SOME_CHANNEL> -o out.avi

replace <SOME CHANNEL> with the channel you want to record i.e. E11
replace PAL with the standard that's used in your location replace
europe-west with the channel list that is suitable for your location.

If it works you'll get out.avi file with the stream. IF not post again
what's the issue.

Never give up!

regards

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Serena Cantor

The command you gives does not work.
It seems to me that you miss "-tv", so I add it, mencoder says sth. wrong with audio device.
I think I can omit chanlist and channel specification in mencoder command, because I can use the command below to watch TV:

mplayer -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480utfmt=i420 -vo xv tv://

Maybe mplayer can manage to do its job with defaults. Omitting them will make things a little easier for me. I'm in China, which use china-bcast in xawtv.

I try a command in page below, it seems to have similiar problem:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/tv-input.html#tv-examples

Below is output of your command after adding "-tv":

MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 9 data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l
name: Video 4 Linux input
author: Alex Beregszaszi
comment: under development
WARNING: YOU ARE USING V4L DEMUXER WITH V4L2 DRIVERS!!!
As the V4L1 compatibility layer is broken, this may not work.
If you encounter any problems, use driver=v4l2 instead.
Bugreports on driver=v4l with v4l2 drivers will be ignored.
Selected device: BT848A video (Lifeview FlyVideo
Capabilites: capture tuner overlay clipping scales
Device type: 171
Supported sizes: 48x32 => 924x576
Inputs: 4
0: Television: tuner audio tv camera (tuner:1, normal)
1: Composite1: audio camera (tuner:0, normal)
2: S-Video: audio camera (tuner:0, normal)
3: Composite3: audio camera (tuner:0, normal)
Audio mode setup warning!
Requested mode was stereo, but v4l still reports mono.
You may need "forcechan" option to force stereo/mono audio recording.
Unable to open '/dev/dsp1': No such file or directory
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.

Exiting...

Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Serena Cantor wrote:

> mencoder

driver=v4l:width=640:height=480utfmt=i420:audior ate=44100:amode=1:audioid=1:adevice=/dev/dsp1:norm=PAL:normid=0:chanlist=europe-west
>> tv://<SOME_CHANNEL> -o out.avi

hi,

I missed the -tv indeed

What about the mencoder commands there from the link
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/tv-input.html#tv-examples

do they don't work? I guess no, because otherwise you wouldn't be posting
here

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=576:chanlist=china-bcast
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:autoaspect=1
-vf scale,pp=lb -o output.avi tv://<CHANNEL>

Can you try this command and replace <CHANNEL> with the channel you want to
record? If you miss the channel then I guess the last one you've tuned the
receiver will be captured.

When recording no other application should be running that uses your tv card
like xawtv or similar. May be you have tried to watch and record at the
same time? If you want to do this you better start mencoder to record the
stream and run mplayer output.avi to watch the stream while recording.

I changed the v4l to v4l2, because I think the howto is a bit outdated. You
can try both if it's not working and if you want. I also added the chanlist
and autoaspect option and instead cropping I use scale filter.

I hope this will work. Have a look at the output.avi file and post output if
there are problems like you did now.

regards

Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Serena Cantor

The command you give does not work. I'm sure no other TV program is running.
Below are output by your command, followed by example at www.mplayerhq.hu

MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 9 data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
comment: first try, more to come ;-)
Selected device: BT848A video (Prolink Pixelview
Tuner cap:
Tuner rxs: MONO
Capabilites: video capture video overlay VBI capture device tuner read/write streaming
supported norms: 0 = PAL; 1 = NTSC; 2 = SECAM; 3 = PAL-Nc; 4 = PAL-M; 5 = PAL-N; 6 = NTSC-JP; 7 = PAL-60;
inputs: 0 = Television; 1 = Composite1; 2 = S-Video;
Current input: 0
Current format: YVU420
v4l2: current audio mode is : MONO
Selected channel: 4 (freq: 77.250)
Unable to open '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
Unable to open '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
Unable to open '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.
./tv3: line 4: 2618 δ mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=576:chanlist=china-bcast -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:autoaspect=1 -vf scale,pp=lb -o output.avi tv://4

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Serena Cantor wrote:

> The command you give does not work. I'm sure no other TV program is
> running. Below are output by your command, followed by example at
> www.mplayerhq.hu

Ok so there is a progress with as I see, but we don't know what's your sound
device related to the card, so that's why it fails. There is a slight
difference how mplayer and mencoder handle the sound devices. I don't have
a bt848 card, so I'm not sure if it's working in alsa or in the oss
emulation. Try this one

mencoder -tv
driver=v4l2:width=768:height=576:forceaudio:immedi atemode=0:adevice=/dev/dsp1:chanlist=china-bcast

-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:autoaspect=1
-vf scale,pp=lb -o output.avi tv://<CHANNEL>

If it's not working, please post feedback again and also the output of the
command

ls /dev/dsp*

and

ls /dev/snd/

and

cat /proc/asound/devices

and

cat /proc/asound/oss/devices

and

lsmod | grep snd

regards

Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Serena Cantor

/dev/dsp* does not exist, the output of "ls /dev/dsp*" contains Chinese, (Command line interface has been partially localized). No wonder your command does not work. Anyway, I copy its output below, followed by other outputs:

PS: I use Sound Blaster 16 (ISA) and use snd-sb16 module in etch

MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 9 data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
comment: first try, more to come ;-)
Selected device: BT848A video (Lifeview FlyVideo
Tuner cap:
Tuner rxs: MONO
Capabilites: video capture video overlay VBI capture device tuner read/write streaming
supported norms: 0 = PAL; 1 = NTSC; 2 = SECAM; 3 = PAL-Nc; 4 = PAL-M; 5 = PAL-N; 6 = NTSC-JP; 7 = PAL-60;
inputs: 0 = Television; 1 = Composite1; 2 = S-Video; 3 = Composite3;
Current input: 0
Current format: YVU420
v4l2: current audio mode is : MONO
Selected channel: 4 (freq: 77.250)
Unable to open '/dev/dsp1': No such file or directory
Unable to open '/dev/dsp1': No such file or directory
Unable to open '/dev/dsp1': No such file or directory
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.
./tv1: line 4: 2420 δ mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=576:forceaudio:immedi atemode=0:adevice=/dev/dsp1:chanlist=china-bcast -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:autoaspect=1 -vf scale,pp=lb -o output.avi tv://4

ls /dev/snd/
controlC0
hwC0D0
pcmC0D0c
pcmC0D0p
timer

cat /proc/asound/oss/devices
10: [0- 0]: hardware dependent

cat /proc/asound/devices
0: [ 0] : control
4: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
33: : timer

lsmod | grep snd
snd_sb16 16168 0
snd_opl3_lib 9920 1 snd_sb16
snd_sb16_dsp 9856 1 snd_sb16
snd_sb16_csp 18432 1 snd_sb16
snd_sb_common 15968 3 snd_sb16,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_sb16_csp
snd_hwdep 8836 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_csp
snd_mpu401_uart 8064 1 snd_sb16
snd_rawmidi 22560 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 7820 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 83104 0
snd_ac97_bus 2400 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 68676 3 snd_sb16,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 20996 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm
snd 47012 12 snd_sb16,snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_sb16_csp,sn d_sb_common,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi, snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9248 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9640 1 snd_pcm

Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Serena Cantor wrote:

> [...]
> 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 33: : timer
>
> lsmod | grep snd
> snd_sb16 16168 0
> snd_opl3_lib 9920 1 snd_sb16
> snd_sb16_dsp 9856 1 snd_sb16
> snd_sb16_csp 18432 1 snd_sb16
> snd_sb_common 15968 3 snd_sb16,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_sb16_csp
> snd_hwdep 8836 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_csp
> snd_mpu401_uart 8064 1 snd_sb16
> snd_rawmidi 22560 1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device 7820 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
> snd_ac97_codec 83104 0
> snd_ac97_bus 2400 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm 68676 3 snd_sb16,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_ac97_codec
> snd_timer 20996 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm
> snd 47012 12

snd_sb16,snd_opl3_lib,snd_sb16_dsp,snd_sb16_csp,sn d_sb_common,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi, snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

what model is the tv card and is it usb, pci or isa?

I assume you can hear sound when watching, so I assume it is connected to
the sound card internally or externally with a cable, can you confirm or
describe how you've connected.
May be we have to capture the sound from the sb16?

I don't see any driver that would do the sound on the bt848a card.
Try may be

sudo modprobe -v snd_pcm_oss
sudo modprobe -v snd_mixer_oss

now you'll have /dev/dsp* and /dev/mixer*

repeat the commands from the previous mail and report .

regards