Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM
"webmaster@worldapart.com"

Default mysql Etch -> Etch

Hi all,

I want to move all mysql databases with all users, grants, etc. from one
box (Etch) to another (Etch).

One box 1:
tar czvf /backups/varlibmysql.tgz /var/lib/mysql

One box 2:
/etc/init.d/mysql stop
cd /
tar zxvf /backups/varlibmysql.tgz
/etc/init.d/mysql start

This way i'm missing users, grants, etc.

Help please.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Ron Johnson

I want to move all mysql databases with all users, grants, etc. from one
box (Etch) to another (Etch).

One box 1:
tar czvf /backups/varlibmysql.tgz /var/lib/mysql

One box 2:
/etc/init.d/mysql stop
cd /
tar zxvf /backups/varlibmysql.tgz
/etc/init.d/mysql start

This way i'm missing users, grants, etc.

Shouldn't mysqldump take care of this?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't
have to worry about paying my mortgage."
Peggy Joseph, on why she loves Obama

Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 AM
"Mariusz Sielicki"

Did you backup database named "mysql" too?
This database contains users and grants data.

Maybe try software for migration: MySQL Migration Toolkit.
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

Regards.
Mariusz

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 AM
"Kurian Thayil"

Hi,

You can get the mysqldump from the Machine A and then restore this
dump in new MySQL installation @ Machine B.

Machine A:
mysqldump -u root --all-databases>all-database_1.sql

port this mysqldump (all-database_1.sql) to Machine B and run the
command from dump's saved location.

Machine B:
mysql -u root <all-database_1.sql

Regards,

Kurian Mathew Thayil.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
"webmaster@worldapart.com"

Mariusz Sielicki wrote:

Did you backup database named "mysql" too?
This database contains users and grants data.

Yes,

I backuped all /var/lib/mysql/

But on start mysql:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)'

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM
"webmaster@worldapart.com"

Mariusz Sielicki wrote:

Did you backup database named "mysql" too?
This database contains users and grants data.

Yes,

I backuped all /var/lib/mysql/

But on start mysql:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)'

Thanks.

OK.

Now i check /etc/default/ and /etc/mysql/
Backuped and restored, and everything is OK now.

Thanks to all.