Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Alex Samad

Default setting open file limits

Hi

I have been running into the too many open files error, for one of my
users, I have tried setting nofiles in /etc/security/limits.conf, but it
doesn't seem to work.

root: vim /etc/security/limits.conf

user1 - nofile 8192

then i try
su - user1
ulimit -n

and I get 1024, I have checked my /etc/pam.d for pam_limits and it is
enabled for login/su, sshd and gdm and ...

so what am I doing wrong ?

Alex

Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
frank

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 07:37 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:

> root: vim /etc/security/limits.conf
>
> user1 - nofile 8192
>

> then i try
> su - user1
> ulimit -n
>

> and I get 1024, I have checked my /etc/pam.d for pam_limits and it is
> enabled for login/su, sshd and gdm and ...
>

> so what am I doing wrong?

User limits cant be higher then super user limits. Increase nofile for
root first. Log off / on and your done.

Regards
Frank

Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 03:32:31PM +0100, frank wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 07:37 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > root: vim /etc/security/limits.conf
> >
> > user1 - nofile 8192
> >

> > then i try
> > su - user1
> > ulimit -n
> >

> > and I get 1024, I have checked my /etc/pam.d for pam_limits and it is
> > enabled for login/su, sshd and gdm and ...
> >

> > so what am I doing wrong?
>
> User limits cant be higher then super user limits. Increase nofile for
> root first. Log off / on and your done.
>
> Regards
> Frank

it was a user problem, I type nofiles in the limits file change to
nofile and it works now