Old 11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

Default Processes comminicating with "outside" sites

Hi,

I believe I've asked this question before and don't remember a response
for it. Basically, I'll have a server that exhibits communication with
some outside site, and I've not explicitly set up such a communication.
I assume that that are many standard communications going on for some
reason or another that the developer has set up in the code for the
process. Maybe not. The particular instance that's triggered this
inquiry is a communication with a server at your.org.

So I'm wondering, is there a list that itemizes all outside
communications and associates them with the relevant package/file? And
if not, isn't that a good idea in this day and age of "sneaky code" that
can slip onto a system.

-jeff

Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:

> So I'm wondering, is there a list that itemizes all outside
> communications and associates them with the relevant package/file?

You need something like the output of:

# netstat -ntuap

--
Michael Iatrou (fphc)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
"Jeffrey B. Green"

On 2 Nov 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:
>
> > So I'm wondering, is there a list that itemizes all outside
> > communications and associates them with the relevant package/file?
>
> You need something like the output of:
>
> # netstat -ntuap

Thanks much. I'll write that command down in a convenient place so that
there'll be a chance for me to use it next time a "suspicious" IP comes
wandering through.

-jeff