-   -   dfsg, needs explanation (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/186290-dfsg-needs-explanation.html)

"Umarzuki Mochlis" 11-02-2008 01:44 AM

dfsg, needs explanation

License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of the last point
what does "reiteration of the last point" really means.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Mark Allums 11-02-2008 02:15 AM

dfsg, needs explanation

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
/License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of the
last point/

what does "reiteration of the last point" really means.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

An iteration is one complete cycle of a process.[0] A "reiteration" is
repeating the same thing again. So it is saying, "I told you, and now
I'm telling you again."

Mark Allums

[0] The process make make some progress toward a goal. Iteration is
more like an evolution, perhaps like the climbing of a ladder, one rung
at a time. It's opposite might be, depending on context, like jumping
off of the roof, all in one go, a revolution. Iteration might have a
slightly different meaning in a different context. A for() loop is
generally regarded as an iterative thing. An example of an entirely
different process would be a recursive function. CS 101 lesson for the
day. :)

Mark Allums 11-02-2008 02:20 AM

dfsg, needs explanation

Sorry for the repeat message, I lost my internet connection just as it
was sending. Also, in the footnote, that should read "The process *may*
make some progress...."

Mark Allums

Daryl Styrk 11-02-2008 02:20 AM

dfsg, needs explanation

Chris Bannister 11-05-2008 06:04 AM

dfsg, needs explanation

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 10:44:15AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of the last
> point
>
> what does "reiteration of the last point" really means.

I'd say that, the last point is just another way of saying "License must
not be specific to Debian." The "last point" could be the item before
that one, or, the actual last point. (confusing?)

A point is just an item in a list of items, i.e.

1.
2.
3. License must not be specific to Debian, ...
4.
5.

So, from the above: point 3 states: "License must not be specific to
Debian", but "reiteration of the last point" could mean point 2, or it
could mean point 5. Less confusing would be either "previous point" or
"final point" IMHO.

--
Chris.
======