Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
"Matt Miller"

Default vi -- Turn off Line Number Colors and Screen Buffering

>From GNOME terminal, when I:

vi x
:set nu

the line numbers are colored, and I want to get rid of that. Also, I
don't want the editor to do whatever special screen buffer swapping, or
whatever it is, that prevents me from scrolling back in my terminal
history when the editor is open, and then clears away the screen and
redisplays what was there before after the editor is closed.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Bob McGowan

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 23:16 +0100, Matt Miller wrote:
> >From GNOME terminal, when I:
>
> vi x
> :set nu
>
> the line numbers are colored, and I want to get rid of that. Also, I
> don't want the editor to do whatever special screen buffer swapping, or
> whatever it is, that prevents me from scrolling back in my terminal
> history when the editor is open, and then clears away the screen and
> redisplays what was there before after the editor is closed.

If you're using gvim/vim as the default vi, and you use strict vi
compatibility mode, you could change the default alternative setup to
point to nvi instead.

I'm not sure how, or even if you can, turn off the color highlighting
feature in gvim/vim.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 AM
"Matt Miller"

> > From GNOME terminal, when I:
> >
> > vi x :set nu
> >
> > the line numbers are colored, and I want to get rid of that.
>
> you could change the default alternative setup to point to nvi
> instead.

Thanks, that got rid of the colorized line numbers.

> > Also, I don't want the editor to do whatever special screen buffer
> > swapping, or whatever it is, that prevents me from scrolling back in
> > my terminal history when the editor is open, and then clears away
> > the screen and redisplays what was there before after the editor is
> > closed.

That's still an annoyance. This whole take-over-the-screen-because-that-
must-be-what-you-really-want thing has got be turn-offable.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-11-04 06:28 +0100, Matt Miller wrote:

>> > Also, I don't want the editor to do whatever special screen buffer
>> > swapping, or whatever it is, that prevents me from scrolling back in
>> > my terminal history when the editor is open, and then clears away
>> > the screen and redisplays what was there before after the editor is
>> > closed.
>
> That's still an annoyance. This whole take-over-the-screen-because-that-
> must-be-what-you-really-want thing has got be turn-offable.

This is a feature of your terminal (and ncurses). Please consult your
terminal's manual how to turn the alternate screen off. In xterm, you
need to set the `titeInhibit' resource to true.

Sven

Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Cameron Hutchison

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> That's still an annoyance. This whole take-over-the-screen-because-that-
>> must-be-what-you-really-want thing has got be turn-offable.

>This is a feature of your terminal (and ncurses). Please consult your
>terminal's manual how to turn the alternate screen off. In xterm, you
>need to set the `titeInhibit' resource to true.

Alternatively, set TERM=vt100 as that terminal does not have the escape
codes defined for this feature.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
"Aneurin Price"

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net> wrote:
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>>> That's still an annoyance. This whole take-over-the-screen-because-that-
>>> must-be-what-you-really-want thing has got be turn-offable.
>
>>This is a feature of your terminal (and ncurses). Please consult your
>>terminal's manual how to turn the alternate screen off. In xterm, you
>>need to set the `titeInhibit' resource to true.
>
> Alternatively, set TERM=vt100 as that terminal does not have the escape
> codes defined for this feature.

This behaviour can be specified in vim though, by adding the following to
~/.vimrc:

set t_ti= t_te= "Don't use alternate screen
hi LineNr ctermfg=lightgray "Or whatever colour you want the line numbers to be

(Check the colour list at
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/syntax.html#cterm-colors)

-Nye

Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 AM
"Matt Miller"

> > I don't want the editor to do whatever special screen buffer
> > swapping, or whatever it is, that prevents me from scrolling back in
> > my terminal history when the editor is open, and then clears away
> > the screen and redisplays what was there before after the editor is
> > closed.
>
> This behaviour can be specified in vim though, by adding the following
> to ~/.vimrc:
>
> set t_ti= t_te= "Don't use alternate screen

Perfect. Thanks.

> > the line numbers are colored, and I want to get rid of that
>
> hi LineNr ctermfg=lightgray "Or whatever colour

That works. Ideally I'd like line numbers to automatically be whatever
color everything else is, but this is an improvement.