Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default Adobe Reader install fails - out of space

Greetings;

When I installed Debian on my laptop I chose the option
to set up various separate file systems. Should have
followed the KISS principle!

Anyway, I downloaded AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb
from the Adobe web site and tried to install it with dpkg -i

but I get this result.

Unpacking adobereader-enu (from
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb
(--install):

failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1):
backend dpkg-deb during
`./opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins/EScript.api':
No space left on device

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb

The root partition is out of space and suspect that is the
problem, but what do I know!

Any way, does anybody know how I can fis this problem or
change the sizes of my file systems without a reinstall?

Many TIA!
Dennis

Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Saturday 01 November 2008, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> The root partition is out of space and suspect that is the
> problem, but what do I know!

df(1) is your friend.

> Any way, does anybody know how I can fis this problem or
> change the sizes of my file systems without a reinstall?

You can try to free some space using:

# apt-get clean

To resize your partitions, parted(8) is the tool you are looking for.

--
Michael Iatrou (fdiu)

Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 04:21:13PM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> When I installed Debian on my laptop I chose the option
> to set up various separate file systems. Should have followed the KISS
> principle!
>
> Anyway, I downloaded AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb from the Adobe
> web site and tried to install it with dpkg -i
> but I get this result.
>
> Unpacking adobereader-enu (from AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb (--install):
> failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1):
> backend dpkg-deb during
> `./opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins/EScript.api': No space
> left on device
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2_SU1-1.i386.deb
>
> The root partition is out of space and suspect that is the problem, but
> what do I know!
>
> Any way, does anybody know how I can fis this problem or change the sizes
> of my file systems without a reinstall?

can you reply with

df --si
cat /proc/partitions
lvs

you could try apt-get clean (clear away the apt cache ?)