Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default Can I expand VBox disk drives?

Greetings;

I installed VBox with Dynamically Expanding Image for the
disk drives but the C drive has expanded to the point that
it is nearly full. Is there any way I can expand the
available space for VBox vdi drives?

Many TIA!
Dennis

Old 11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 03:48:56PM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I installed VBox with Dynamically Expanding Image for the disk drives but
> the C drive has expanded to the point that it is nearly full. Is there
> any way I can expand the available space for VBox vdi drives?
the dynamic relates to the space used on the host filesystem not the
virtual drive. the guest always sees the full size even when it only
takes up say 5% of the physical disk drive

> Many TIA!
> Dennis

"I'm the decider, and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."

- George W. Bush
04/18/2006
Washington, DC

Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Dennis Wicks

Alex Samad wrote the following on 11/01/2008 04:32 PM:

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 03:48:56PM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

I installed VBox with Dynamically Expanding Image for the disk drives but
the C drive has expanded to the point that it is nearly full. Is there
any way I can expand the available space for VBox vdi drives?

the dynamic relates to the space used on the host filesystem not the
virtual drive. the guest always sees the full size even when it only
takes up say 5% of the physical disk drive

The doc says that it expands up to the size specified when
defined. The problem is I defined it too small and it has
now expanded to the max size defined. Can I increase that
defined max size?

Thanks!

Many TIA!
Dennis

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Op Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:48:56 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I installed VBox with Dynamically Expanding Image for the disk drives
> but the C drive has expanded to the point that it is nearly full. Is
> there any way I can expand the available space for VBox vdi drives?

It is not impossible, but it appears to be difficult.
VirtualBox does not offer any way of increasing the capacity of a
virtual disk.
Some users, however, seem to have found ways to copy its contents to a
larger, empty one.
The best explanation I've found up till now is this one:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.general/3982
You could find more information by searching the VirtualBox mailing list
archives, using 'vdi' as the key word, or by subscribing to that mailing
list.