-   -   nmap package obsoleted? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/185590-nmap-package-obsoleted.html)

rex 10-31-2008 03:02 PM

nmap package obsoleted?

Hello, I'm trying to install nmap, and so I did "apt-get install nmap",
but I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package nmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package nmap has no installation candidate

when I do "apt-cache pkgnames | grep nmap", I get nmap.

googling shows me that nmap is at
http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/nmap.html, but I get "No such package"

my sources.list file show:

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD
Binary-1 20080217-11:31]/ etch contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20080217-11:31]/ etch contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

I did an "apt-get update" but that didn't work.

Please help. Thanks!

Jeff D 10-31-2008 03:25 PM

nmap package obsoleted?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, rex wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to install nmap, and so I did "apt-get install nmap",
> but I get this:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package nmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package nmap has no installation candidate
>
> when I do "apt-cache pkgnames | grep nmap", I get nmap.
>
> googling shows me that nmap is at
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/nmap.html, but I get "No such package"
>
> my sources.list file show:
>
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD
> Binary-1 20080217-11:31]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20080217-11:31]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
> I did an "apt-get update" but that didn't work.
>
> Please help. Thanks!

try adding the following to your sources list :
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib

then run apt-get update and try to install nmap.

also see:
http://packages.debian.org/etch/nmap

Jeff