-   -   Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/185453-etch-netinst-asus-laptop-problem.html)

Emanoil Kotsev 10-31-2008 09:36 AM

lmhelp wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Thank you for reading my post.

> I have recently purchased a laptop (Asus M51Vseries).

> CDROM installation attempt
> --------------------------
>
> I have tried to install "Debian Etch" on it, using a cdrom I
> burnt from an ISO image fetched on the Debian website.
> (It is not the first time I do that an usually it work).
> The system booted properly on the CDROM but the
> installation process "failed" to "recognize" the CD ROM
> drive (CD/DVD:P1-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N).
> >
> Can you help me please solve that problem?
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Lmhelp

this means driver for the card is not loaded, provided or working properly.
Which kernel are you booting with?

Try lenny for laptops. I think the linux version there has support for this
card, though not quite sure.

alternatively you can install into directory with debootstrap as described
here:
update your installation with chrooting into it and add the driver you need.

you can do this also with the image booting from tftp, though this is
pretty long way around. In this case I would just replace the linux kernel
and modules in the netinst image with a version that has support for your
card.

I prefer installing into a directory, and if you take lenny you'll be more
satisfied, at least that's what I'm doing with my dell notebook.

regards

lmhelp 11-01-2008 11:17 AM

Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

Hi,

Thank you for answering so fast.

Unfortunately, installing Debian is an "extra" for me
(I do it when I have some free time) and I am presently
overwhelmed with work. I cannot handle the problem
right now.

> Which kernel are you booting with?

I can't tell you that right now ; the one which comes with:
"http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz".

> Try lenny for laptops. I think the linux version there has
> support for this card, though not quite sure.

How can it be checked?

> alternatively you can install into directory with debootstrap
> as described here:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426
> update your installation with chrooting into it and add the
> driver you need.

Ok, I can see it's not trivial.

> I prefer installing into a directory.

I really do not understand what you refer to here...

Thank you for all your tips.

Lmhelp

Emanoil Kotsev 11-01-2008 12:48 PM

lmhelp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for answering so fast.
>
> Unfortunately, installing Debian is an "extra" for me
> (I do it when I have some free time) and I am presently
> overwhelmed with work. I cannot handle the problem
> right now.

>> Which kernel are you booting with?
>
> I can't tell you that right now ; the one which comes with:
> "http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz".

>> Try lenny for laptops. I think the linux version there has
>> support for this card, though not quite sure.
>
> How can it be checked?

when you boot switch to console and do 'uname -a'

I am not sure what kernel they use for booting. I think some generic version
but is it 2.4 or 2.6 I don't know.

>> alternatively you can install into directory with debootstrap
>> as described here:
>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426
>> update your installation with chrooting into it and add the
>> driver you need.
>
> Ok, I can see it's not trivial.

It's easier at least for me to install this way, because you can fix also
problems before or after booting.
Just download a lenny LiveCD and find out how it works on your pc. If happy
install. The install can be customized by mounting your target partition
following the instructions from the link above.

>> I prefer installing into a directory.
>
> I really do not understand what you refer to here...

Means I have a working debian system (as you also have, because you write
about setting up tftp server on your second debian machine). So create
there a directory somewhere i.e.
mkdir ~/debian-lenny

or mount your target partition somewhere (usb or NFS)

mount <target> ~/debian-lenny

and use debootstrap to install into this directory.

Find a kernel or compile your self one that supports your card and install
into this directory (consult a different howto for this part)

Alternatively you can install the base system from the CD download or
compile kernel with support for your card and install it from CD or USB and
reboot into the new kernel.

Your problem is, as stated before, that may be the installer (especially for
etch) is older and does not support the internet card you have.

I would recommend as the most easy way to download live lenny cd and give it
a try. If it works install. This should be most easy to do.

regards

lmhelp 11-03-2008 09:02 AM

Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

Hi,

Thanks again for your answer.

Can you tell me if this is on that kind of website where
I can know if "lenny" has support for my ethernet card
"Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express G"?

http://hardware4linux.info/component/15869/

Thanks in advance,
--
Lmhelp

lmhelp 11-03-2008 09:17 AM

Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

Oh, I forgot:
> when you boot switch to console and do 'uname -a'

~ # uname -a
Linux (none) 2.6.18-6-486 #1 Sat Jan 26 08:50:43 UTC 2008 i686 unknown

Thanks,
--
Lmhelp

lmhelp 11-03-2008 10:05 AM

Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

Hi again,

I did a:
# wget
http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz
-O /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
instead, in the procedure I described in my first post...

This time, "Network configuration has succeeded".

But, I have another error message after:
1. Choosing a Debian archive mirror country
2. Choosing a Debian archive mirror

Here is the message:
[! !] Download installer components

No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
between the kernel used by the version of the installer and the
kernel version available in the archive.

If you're installing from a mirror, you can work around this problem
by choosing to install a different version of Debian. The install
will probably fail to work if you continue without kernel modules.

Continue the install without loading kernel modules?

What is happening?

Thank you for any help you can give me and for your patience.
(Sorry for the three consecutive posts...)
--
Lmhelp

Emanoil Kotsev 11-03-2008 10:20 AM

lmhelp wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I did a:
> # wget

http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz
> -O /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
> instead, in the procedure I described in my first post...
>
> This time, "Network configuration has succeeded".
>
> But, I have another error message after:
> 1. Choosing a Debian archive mirror country
> 2. Choosing a Debian archive mirror
>
> Here is the message:
> ================================================== ===
> [! !] Download installer components
>
> No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
> between the kernel used by the version of the installer and the
> kernel version available in the archive.
>
> If you're installing from a mirror, you can work around this problem
> by choosing to install a different version of Debian. The install
> will probably fail to work if you continue without kernel modules.
>
> Continue the install without loading kernel modules?
> ================================================== ===
>
> What is happening?
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me and for your patience.
> (Sorry for the three consecutive posts...)
> --
> Lmhelp

I just checked the netinst.tar.gz for lenny it has kernel 2.6.24-1-486.
Which means that all installers for lenny should work with your PC.

I would suggest that you simply download the netinst CD ROM, burn it on CD
and try installation with it.

I think the problem you have now is that you have downloaded just the boot
part of the kernel but not the rest of the drivers, though I'm not quite
sure.

Just try with the CDROM. If you have fast internet you can download the Live
CD. It can save your life at any time and any place.

regards

lmhelp 11-03-2008 10:37 AM

Etch - Netinst - Asus laptop - Problem

> I would suggest that you simply download the netinst CD ROM, burn it on CD
> and try installation with it.

Would you please be so very kind to tell me where to find the image
to burn on the Debian website so that I do not make another mistake?

> I think the problem you have now is that you have downloaded just the boot
> part of the kernel but not the rest of the drivers, though I'm not quite
> sure.

Strange, isn't it?

Lmhelp

Emanoil Kotsev 11-03-2008 10:58 AM

lmhelp wrote:

>> I would suggest that you simply download the netinst CD ROM, burn it on
>> CD and try installation with it.
>
> Would you please be so very kind to tell me where to find the image
> to burn on the Debian website so that I do not make another mistake?
>
>> I think the problem you have now is that you have downloaded just the
>> boot part of the kernel but not the rest of the drivers, though I'm not
>> quite sure.
>
> Strange, isn't it?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Lmhelp

You can go there and follow the links

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

pay attention to testing and select your nearest location.
Alternatively go to

select your archtecture i383/, amd64/ etc.

I would take this one

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/lenny_di_beta2/i386/iso-cd/debian-LennyBeta2-i386-netinst.iso

But if you are in hurry you can also try the buziness card CD

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/lenny_di_beta2/i386/iso-cd/debian-LennyBeta2-i386-businesscard.iso

I hope this helps

regards

Emanoil Kotsev 11-03-2008 11:09 AM

lmhelp wrote:

http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

I think you have to download the hole directory for the netboot not only the
tar.gz file