-   -   X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/185407-x-window-hp-proliant-ml110.html)

"Zaki Akhmad" 10-31-2008 07:03 AM

X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110

Hi all,

I am installing Debian AMD64 testing on my HP Proliant ML110. I try to
run x-window on this machine. I've installed kde. But then the GUI
won't show up.

I've done this
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

But it didn't display resolution. Here's my lspci resutl
$ lspci
..
VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200e [Pilot]
ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 02)
..

Anybody can give me a hint?
--
Zaki Akhmad

"Zaki Akhmad" 11-04-2008 12:43 PM

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Samuel Bächler <linux@boeser.ch> wrote:

> What do you mean by "GUI (General User Interface) won't show
> up"?

GUI: Graphical User Interface

Only the terminal, show up.

--
Zaki Akhmad

Florian Kulzer 11-04-2008 12:54 PM

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 20:43:51 +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> >
> > What do you mean by "GUI (General User Interface) won't show
> > up"?
>
> GUI: Graphical User Interface
>
> Only the terminal, show up.

Did you install [xkg]dm?

Did you try to log in at the terminal and run "startx"?

Florian |

Samuel Bächler 11-04-2008 02:02 PM

Samuel Bächler wrote:
What do you mean by "GUI (General User Interface) won't show
up"?

Only the terminal, shows up.

Does 'startx' at the command line interface work?

s.

"Krishna Chandra Prajapati" 11-05-2008 04:45 AM

X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110

Just try,

apt-get update
apt-get install x-window-system gdm

After this you must be able to start gui

I am installing Debian AMD64 testing on my HP Proliant ML110. I try to

run x-window on this machine. I've installed kde. But then the GUI

won't show up.

I've done this

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

But it didn't display resolution. Here's my lspci resutl

$ lspci

..

VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200e [Pilot]

ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 02)

..

Anybody can give me a hint?

--

Zaki Akhmad

Krishna Chandra Prajapati
MySQL DBA,
Mob: 9912924044
Email-id: prajapatikc@gmail.com

"Zaki Akhmad" 11-05-2008 06:18 AM

X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110

"Zaki Akhmad" 11-05-2008 10:27 AM

X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110

Teemu Likonen 11-05-2008 10:44 AM

Zaki Akhmad (2008-11-05 18:27 +0700) wrote:

> Sigh, the actual problem haven't solved yet. I found, I can't see my
> GUI again. I can't configure my screen resolution with
> # dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

> Why I can't see screen resolution option?

If you are using Lenny or Sid it's because xserver-xorg package does not
provide debconf configuration for screen resolution settings anymore.
X.org is supposed to detect those things automatically nowadays. Not all
are satisfied with the choice of removing the debconf settings. See bug
#501821:

Florian Kulzer 11-05-2008 05:37 PM

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 18:27:59 +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Sigh, the actual problem haven't solved yet. I found, I can't see my
> GUI again. I can't configure my screen resolution with
> # dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg
>
> Here's my the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> # Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> Driver "mga"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Why I can't see screen resolution option?

This option has been removed from the debconf dialog, which can lead to
problems if the correct resolution settings cannot be detected from the
monitor and/or the video driver does not support RandR. (See Teemu
Likonen's earlier mail for a link to a bug report.)

It should still be possible to specify you desired resolution(s) in
the Screen section of xorg.conf like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

If you specify more than one resolution, like in my example above, then
you can switch between them by holding down CTRL and ALT and using the
plus or minus key on the numerical keypad. If you have an LCD screen
with a fixed number of pixels then you should use exactly the matching
resolution. If your graphics card cannot support your desired resolution
then you might have to decrease the Depth from 24 to 16.

If you want to be on the safe side then you can furthermore look up the
acceptable horizontal and vertical frequency ranges for your monitor (do
not just copy the values that I give in the example below!) and add them
to the monitor section like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 31-80
VertRefresh 56-75
DisplaySize 335 270
EndSection

HorizSync is in kHz, VertRefresh is in Hz. The DisplaySize is width and
height in millimeters; it is not absolutely necessary that you specify
it, but it can help to avoid inconsistencies with the sizes of fonts.

Florian |