Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Victor Munoz

Default Broken perl

Hello. I've got a very complex situation here with perl. I'm running
sid, and last weekend's update left my system partially broken.
Basically, perl was left in a "partially installed" status. This means
that perl itself and several other packages cannot be upgraded because
the system can't find some perl files.

Currently, I've got several packages flaged for
removal/install/update. So when I start aptitude I press "g", and then
it proceeds to do its stuff, but I get things like this:

Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
(Reading database ... 206704 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ttf-liberation ...
Can't locate File/Copy.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.
dpkg: error processing ttf-liberation (--purge):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
ttf-liberation
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

And then a lot of similar stuff for all the other packages.
Eventually, it does nothing at all.

Currently, all this packages fail to install correctly:

libxml-parser-perl
libperl5.10
man-db
mono-gac
libgnome2-canvas-perl
python
libgnome2-perl
libgnome2-vfs-perl
libglib-perl
libsnmp15
libgtk2-perl
deskbar-applet
yelp
perl
libhtml-parser-perl
gnome-system-tools
gconf2
hplip-data
libbit-vector-perl
gnome-applets
libxml-twig-perl
hplip
libhtml-tagset-perl
libnet-dbus-perl
mono-runtime
gnome-user-guide
perl-modules
libmono2.0-cil
python-brlapi
libgconf2.0-cil
system-tools-backends
fast-user-switch-applet
libmono-addins0.2-cil
liboobs-1-4
libwww-perl
libmono-system-web2.0-cil
libmono1.0-cil
libgnome2.0-cil
libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil

And I guess most of it is due to the fact that perl failed to be
upgraded correctly, for whatever reason I don't understand.

For reference, perl-base is flagged for update, from 5.8.8-12 to
5.10.0-16, but currently the perl package has a "B" flag and
perl-modules has a "u" flag, and aptitude says I have version
5.10.0-16 installed, which is the latest. But they've not been
configured completely, and several things do not work.

None of my perl scripts work, and some other things don't either (xdvi
does not work, I have to start it directly with xdvi.bin; and printer
is not working either, don't know if perl is involved here).

I'd appreciate any help to return the system to a workable state.

I thought of removing all perl packages and installing again, but I
would pass through a state where many dependences are broken, and I'm
not sure that's a safe thing to do now.

Regards,

Victor

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 23:24:33 -0300, Victor Munoz wrote:
> Hello. I've got a very complex situation here with perl. I'm running
> sid, and last weekend's update left my system partially broken.
> Basically, perl was left in a "partially installed" status. This means
> that perl itself and several other packages cannot be upgraded because
> the system can't find some perl files.
>
> Currently, I've got several packages flaged for
> removal/install/update. So when I start aptitude I press "g", and then
> it proceeds to do its stuff, but I get things like this:
>
> Reading package fields... Done
> Reading package status... Done
> Retrieving bug reports... Done
> Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> (Reading database ... 206704 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ttf-liberation ...
> Can't locate File/Copy.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.
> dpkg: error processing ttf-liberation (--purge):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
> ttf-liberation
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

[...]

> And I guess most of it is due to the fact that perl failed to be
> upgraded correctly, for whatever reason I don't understand.

If perl works again then all the rest should be fixable with a simple
"aptitude install -f".

> For reference, perl-base is flagged for update, from 5.8.8-12 to
> 5.10.0-16, but currently the perl package has a "B" flag and
> perl-modules has a "u" flag, and aptitude says I have version
> 5.10.0-16 installed, which is the latest. But they've not been
> configured completely, and several things do not work.

I think your problem is similar to this one:

You can try to follow the same procedure. I can walk you through it
step-by-step if necessary; in that case, start by posting the output of
the three commands that I mention in my first message in the August
thread.

Florian |

Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-31 03:24 +0100, Victor Munoz wrote:

> Hello. I've got a very complex situation here with perl. I'm running
> sid, and last weekend's update left my system partially broken.

It seems you had not upgraded for a long time (half a year at least).

> Basically, perl was left in a "partially installed" status. This means
> that perl itself and several other packages cannot be upgraded because
> the system can't find some perl files.
>
> Currently, I've got several packages flaged for
> removal/install/update. So when I start aptitude I press "g", and then
> it proceeds to do its stuff, but I get things like this:
>
> Reading package fields... Done
> Reading package status... Done
> Retrieving bug reports... Done
> Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> (Reading database ... 206704 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ttf-liberation ...
> Can't locate File/Copy.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/defoma-font line 7.

This is a well known and hard to solve problem of the perl 5.8 -> 5.10
upgrade. See the following bugs, for example:

> And I guess most of it is due to the fact that perl failed to be
> upgraded correctly, for whatever reason I don't understand.

The reason is that the new perl-modules was unpacked first, and before
perl-base could be unpacked _another_ package was unpacked which had a
command in its preinst or prerm script that required a perl module from
the perl-modules package. Since the /usr/bin/perl command can no longer
find them (see the above "Can't locate File/Copy.pm..." error message),
that script fails and apt aborts the whole operation, leaving the system
in a bad state.

> For reference, perl-base is flagged for update, from 5.8.8-12 to
> 5.10.0-16, but currently the perl package has a "B" flag and
> perl-modules has a "u" flag, and aptitude says I have version
> 5.10.0-16 installed, which is the latest. But they've not been
> configured completely, and several things do not work.
>
> None of my perl scripts work, and some other things don't either (xdvi
> does not work, I have to start it directly with xdvi.bin; and printer
> is not working either, don't know if perl is involved here).
>
> I'd appreciate any help to return the system to a workable state.

You need to get the perl packages in sync first. Since apt will not
help you (it insists of fixing broken packages first, and that cannot be
done), you have to invoke dpkg directly:

# dpkg --unpack /var/cache/apt/archives/*perl*5.10.0-16*

should do the trick¹, and aptitude will hopefully be able to fix the rest
automatically afterwards.

> I thought of removing all perl packages and installing again, but I
> would pass through a state where many dependences are broken, and I'm
> not sure that's a safe thing to do now.

That would indeed be too risky, and it is not needed.

HTH,
Sven

¹ There might be dependency problems, though. If so, please report them
back.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Victor Munoz

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:20:32AM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> I think your problem is similar to this one:

> You can try to follow the same procedure. I can walk you through it
> step-by-step if necessary; in that case, start by posting the output of
> the three commands that I mention in my first message in the August
> thread.

Well, thanks for the offer. The problem is indeed similar, so I tried
to follow the steps, and it kind of work. It seems the problem with
perl is gone now, but there are still things blocking aptitude from
doing much.

The solution for the perl problem involved:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-base_5.10.0-16_i386.deb
dpkg --configure perl perl-modules
dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/liblocale-gettext-perl_1.05-4_i386.deb
dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libtext-iconv-perl_1.7-1+b1_i386.deb
dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libtext-charwidth-perl_0.04-5+b1_i386.de

Now aptitude install -f does not complain about perl.

Thanks for the help!

However, aptitude still complains about other things:

Removing ttf-liberation ...
W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSans-Bold.ttf:
not registered.
W:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf:
not registered.
W:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf:
not registered.

[...]

dpkg: error processing ttf-liberation (--purge):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
ttf-liberation
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up mono-gac (1.9.1+dfsg-4) ...
* Installing 1 assembly from libgmime2.2-cil into Mono
* Installing 4 assemblies from libmono-addins0.2-cil into Mono
* Installing 2 assemblies from libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil into Mono
* Installing 1 assembly from libndesk-dbus1.0-cil into Mono
* Installing 1 assembly from libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil into Mono
! Assembly
/usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Gui.dll
does not exist
! Assembly
/usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.dll
does not exist
! Assembly
/usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Setup.dll
does not exist
dpkg: error processing mono-gac (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 3
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mono-runtime:
mono-runtime depends on mono-gac (= 1.9.1+dfsg-4); however:
Package mono-gac is not configured yet.

[...]
mono-gac
mono-runtime
libmono2.0-cil
libgconf2.0-cil
libmono-addins0.2-cil
libmono-system-web2.0-cil
libmono1.0-cil
libgnome2.0-cil
libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil

I think the 'mono' problems and the failure to purge ttf-liberation
package are different problems, but don't know for sure. There are
several other packages flagged for removal, but aptitude stops trying
after failing the first one.

Now, for the record, the detail of the solution for the perl problem:

This was the situation I started from:

$ dpkg -l perl* | awk '/^i/{print $1,$2,$3}'
iU perl 5.10.0-16
ii perl-base 5.8.8-12
iU perl-modules 5.10.0-16
ii perl-tk 1:804.027-8
ii perlmagick 7:6.2.4.5.dfsg1-2

Pod/Usage.pm and File/Copy.pm, for instante, did not exist in the
5.8.8 tree, but they were in the 5.10.0 tree:

$ stat /usr/share/perl/5.10.0/File/Copy.pm
File: /usr/share/perl/5.10.0/File/Copy.pm'
Size: 16067 Blocks: 32 IO
Block: 4096 regular file
Device: 1642h/5698d Inode: 6439962 Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)
Access: 2008-10-26 12:05:43.000000000 -0300
Modify: 2008-10-05 09:44:39.000000000 -0400
Change: 2008-10-26 12:06:01.000000000 -0300

# apt-get install perl-base=5.10.0-16

did not work, but

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-base_5.10.0-16_i386.deb

did:

# dpkg -l perl* | awk '/^i/{print $1,$2,$3}'
iU perl 5.10.0-16
ii perl-base 5.10.0-16
iU perl-modules 5.10.0-16
ii perl-tk 1:804.027-8
ii perlmagick 7:6.2.4.5.dfsg1-2

# dpkg --configure perl perl-modules
Setting up perl-modules (5.10.0-16) ...
Setting up perl (5.10.0-16) ...
# dpkg -l perl* | awk '/^i/{print
$1,$2,$3}'
ii perl 5.10.0-16
ii perl-base 5.10.0-16
ii perl-modules 5.10.0-16
ii perl-tk 1:804.027-8
ii perlmagick 7:6.2.4.5.dfsg1-2

Then, aptitude install -f did things. It complained three times. First:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Locale/gettext/gettext.so: undefined symbol:
Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

So I installed manually:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/liblocale-gettext-perl_1.05-4_i386.deb

And then aptitude install -f complained again:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so: undefined symbol:
Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

So I installed manually again:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libtext-iconv-perl_1.7-1+b1_i386.deb

Finally, complained about

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/CharWidth/CharWidth.so: undefined symbol:
Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libtext-charwidth-perl_0.04-5+b1_i386.deb

and finally most unconfigured packages were could be configured with
aptitude install -f.

Regards,

Victor

Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Victor Munoz

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:13:25AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-10-31 03:24 +0100, Victor Munoz wrote:
>
> > Hello. I've got a very complex situation here with perl. I'm running
> > sid, and last weekend's update left my system partially broken.
>
> It seems you had not upgraded for a long time (half a year at least).

Not really, but I had been upgrading specific packages or groups of
packages for several weeks/months. This was my first attempt at a
full, blind upgrade in months.

> This is a well known and hard to solve problem of the perl 5.8 -> 5.10
> upgrade. See the following bugs, for example:

Thanks for the reference. Problems were similar indeed.

> The reason is that the new perl-modules was unpacked first, and before
> perl-base could be unpacked _another_ package was unpacked which had a
> command in its preinst or prerm script that required a perl module from
> the perl-modules package. Since the /usr/bin/perl command can no longer
> find them (see the above "Can't locate File/Copy.pm..." error message),
> that script fails and apt aborts the whole operation, leaving the system
> in a bad state.

Yes, I guessed so. System was pretty messed up

> You need to get the perl packages in sync first. Since apt will not
> help you (it insists of fixing broken packages first, and that cannot be
> done), you have to invoke dpkg directly:
>
> # dpkg --unpack /var/cache/apt/archives/*perl*5.10.0-16*
>
> should do the trick¹, and aptitude will hopefully be able to fix the rest
> automatically afterwards.

I have managed to do that eventually as I wrote in detail in another
post of this thread, so now my system is not *so* broken. At least
perl is ok, I think. Thanks for the help.

Victor

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:23:07 -0300, Victor Munoz wrote:

[...]

> However, aptitude still complains about other things:
>
> Removing ttf-liberation ...
> W: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSans-Bold.ttf:
> not registered.
> W:
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf:
> not registered.
> W:
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf:
> not registered.
>
> [...]
>
> dpkg: error processing ttf-liberation (--purge):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> ttf-liberation

I would try to comment out the entire dh_installdefoma stanza in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ttf-liberation.prerm and then run

dpkg --purge ttf-liberation

again.

> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
> Setting up mono-gac (1.9.1+dfsg-4) ...
> * Installing 1 assembly from libgmime2.2-cil into Mono
> * Installing 4 assemblies from libmono-addins0.2-cil into Mono
> * Installing 2 assemblies from libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil into Mono
> * Installing 1 assembly from libndesk-dbus1.0-cil into Mono
> * Installing 1 assembly from libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil into Mono
> ! Assembly
> /usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Gui.dll
> does not exist
> ! Assembly
> /usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.dll
> does not exist
> ! Assembly
> /usr/share/cli-common/policies.d/libmono-addins0.2-cil/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Setup.dll
> does not exist
> dpkg: error processing mono-gac (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 3
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mono-runtime:
> mono-runtime depends on mono-gac (= 1.9.1+dfsg-4); however:
> Package mono-gac is not configured yet.
>
> [...]
> mono-gac
> mono-runtime
> libmono2.0-cil
> libgconf2.0-cil
> libmono-addins0.2-cil
> libmono-system-web2.0-cil
> libmono1.0-cil
> libgnome2.0-cil
> libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil

I don't know mono so I cannot say much about this problem. It seems that
the post-installation script looks for the files at the wrong locations:

$ for N in policy.0.2.Mono.Addins{.Gui,,.Setup}.dll; do apt-file search $N; done
libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil: /usr/lib/cli/mono-addins-0.2/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Gui.dll
libmono-addins0.2-cil: /usr/lib/cli/mono-addins-0.2/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.dll
libmono-addins0.2-cil: /usr/lib/cli/mono-addins-0.2/policy.0.2.Mono.Addins.Setup.dll

This could mean that some necessary symlinks have not been created
(yet). You could check the status of libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil and
libmono-addins0.2-cil on your system and maybe try to (re)install them
with dpkg directly.

Taking a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/mono-gac.postinst might help to
figure out what is going on.

Florian |

Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Victor Munoz

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:45:20PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> I would try to comment out the entire dh_installdefoma stanza in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ttf-liberation.prerm and then run
>
> dpkg --purge ttf-liberation
>
> again.

Amazing... this did the trick. I wouldn't have had the slightest
clue on how to solve it :-) Thank you!

> I don't know mono so I cannot say much about this problem. It seems that
> the post-installation script looks for the files at the wrong locations:

I haven't looked into the mono problem yet, but I will be posting on
any advances.

Victor

Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Victor Munoz

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:45:20PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > [...]
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > mono-gac
> > mono-runtime
> > libmono2.0-cil
> > libgconf2.0-cil
> > libmono-addins0.2-cil
> > libmono-system-web2.0-cil
> > libmono1.0-cil
> > libgnome2.0-cil
> > libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil
>
> I don't know mono so I cannot say much about this problem. It seems that
> the post-installation script looks for the files at the wrong locations:

Ok, thanks for the hint. That was the case indeed. However, I solved
it in another way: purging everything :-) It seems that the only
application that needed this mono stuff was tomboy, which I tried once
and don't use anyway. Not all unconfigured packages disappeared when
deinstalling tomboy, I had to purge them manually one by one, taking
care not to break anything, and eventually all the packages above
could be removed from my system.

Now errors in my system have been reduce to one, only one:

Preparing to replace libcairo-perl 1.043-1 (using
.../libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libcairo-perl ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
unable to make backup link of
./usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl/changelog.gz' before installing new
version: Operation not permitted
/var/cache/apt/archives/libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

Fortunately, this does not seem to block other packages upgrades, as
the original perl problem did, but it's still annoying.

Victor

Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Victor Munoz

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:12:04AM -0300, Victor Munoz wrote:

> Preparing to replace libcairo-perl 1.043-1 (using
> .../libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libcairo-perl ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> unable to make backup link of
> ./usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl/changelog.gz' before installing new
> version: Operation not permitted
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libcairo-perl_1.060-1_i386.deb
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

This has been solved too. Don't know what caused this, but this was
the output of lsattr on /usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl:

/usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl# !ls
lsattr *
------------------- changelog.Debian.gz
-----a-Ac-Z----t--- changelog.gz
------------------- copyright
------------------- examples/png-streams.pl
------------------- examples/simple.pl
------------------- examples/png
------------------- NEWS.gz

Using chattr I could take this to:

lsattr changelog.gz

----------Z-------- changelog.gz

Could not change the Z attribute (as the chattr manpage stated). But
this was enough to solve the problem, libcairo-perl could be finally
upgraded. It is interesting that now no attributes have been set:

/usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl# lsattr changelog.gz
------------------- changelog.gz

Finally, my system is in a clean state again. Thanks for the help,

Victor

Old 11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:49:41 -0300, Victor Munoz wrote:

[...]

> This has been solved too. Don't know what caused this, but this was
> the output of lsattr on /usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl:
>
> /usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl# !ls
> lsattr *
> ------------------- changelog.Debian.gz
> -----a-Ac-Z----t--- changelog.gz
> ------------------- copyright
> ------------------- examples/png-streams.pl
> ------------------- examples/simple.pl
> ------------------- examples/png
> ------------------- NEWS.gz
>
> Using chattr I could take this to:
>
> lsattr changelog.gz
>
> ----------Z-------- changelog.gz
>
> Could not change the Z attribute (as the chattr manpage stated). But
> this was enough to solve the problem, libcairo-perl could be finally
> upgraded. It is interesting that now no attributes have been set:
>
> /usr/share/doc/libcairo-perl# lsattr changelog.gz
> ------------------- changelog.gz
>

> Finally, my system is in a clean state again. Thanks for the help,

It is a bit strange that these attributes were set in the first place.
It might be a good idea to perform a full fsk of that filesystem, and
maybe to look at what "smartmontools" has to say about the hard drive as
well.

Florian |