Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
S D

Default Mounting an old external USB drive

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> check your dmesg output also.

Here's what I get from dmesg. The USB drive was used with WinXP PC so NTFS seems to make sense. I was turning the USB drive on and off trying to get it connected so that perhaps explains why there are repeating records.

Thanks

NTFS driver 2.1.27 [Flags: R/W MODULE].
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
usb 2-7: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-7: USB disconnect, address 2
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
usb 2-7: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-7: USB disconnect, address 3
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
usb 2-7: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-7: USB disconnect, address 4

Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Ron Johnson

On 10/30/08 13:05, S D wrote:

Hi,

Am trying to mount an old BusLink USB drive but can't determine what device the
> USB drive is connected to, that is, the device that I'd pass to
the mount
> command. I tried "fdisk -l" but it only appears to show my other
internal HDs.

Thanks

# uname -a
Linux tstsrv 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 9 15:52:18 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

## This is the only thing in syslog relevant to USB after the USB drive is connected and turned on.
# less /var/log/syslog
Oct 29 23:18:40 tstsrv kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
Oct 29 23:18:40 tstsrv kernel: usb 2-7: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
Oct 29 23:18:40 tstsrv kernel: usb 2-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 067b:2307 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2307 USB-ATAPI4 Bridge
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Maybe you don't have the correct modules? But if you are using a
stock kernel, that shouldn't be a factor.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
S D

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> Maybe you don't have the correct modules? But if you
> are using a
> stock kernel, that shouldn't be a factor.

Yes, I'm using a stock kernel.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

S D wrote:

> --- On Thu, 10/30/08, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Maybe you don't have the correct modules? But if you
>> are using a
>> stock kernel, that shouldn't be a factor.
>
> Yes, I'm using a stock kernel.
>
> # uname -a
> Linux tstsrv 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 9 15:52:18 UTC 2008 i686
> GNU/Linux

Why is it handled by ohci? can you mount other usb devices?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
S D

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com>
>
> Why is it handled by ohci?

Not sure. Because it's an old Buslink USB drive?

> can you mount other usb devices?

Yes, I can mount other USB devices without problems.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

S D wrote:

> --- On Thu, 10/30/08, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com>
>>
>> Why is it handled by ohci?
>
> Not sure. Because it's an old Buslink USB drive?
>
>> can you mount other usb devices?
>
> Yes, I can mount other USB devices without problems.

Has it ever been working with linux?
Try to find out what model you have and how it is supported in linux.
>From the log it is not clear what model or device ID your drive has.
Provide information here, so that someone may help.

regards

Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Samuel Bächler

S D wrote:

Am trying to mount an old BusLink USB drive but can't determine what device the USB drive is connected to, that is, the device that I'd pass to the mount command. I tried "fdisk -l" but it only appears to show my other internal HDs.

Here is one (though unsexy) way to do it:

(1) Press M-C-F1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) on your keyboard
(2) Plug in your stick
(3) Wait...

If something is popping up on your screen...maybe your are lucky.

Doing things mentioned above on my system I see things like

SCSI device sdb:...
[and]
sdb: sdb1

From that stick I know that I can mount it by the command
'mount /dev/sdb1 /path/to/where/I/want/to/have/it'

Hope that helps.

Sam