Old 10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Abdul Haqq

Default Accessing Repositories with 'Lenny'

I did my first install of Debian today after totally giving up on
Ubuntu. I used the disk that came with 'Linux Journal', Sept 2008,
Debian 5.0 'Lenny' Test.
My problem was getting the Atheros AR5007EG on my Asus X50RL to work.
With the latest MadWiFi drivers Ubuntu Hardy recognised the AP but would
not accept the WEP Key.
Loaded the same drivers in Lenny and it worked perfectly. It is so
stable in everything. It closes down without a hitch whilst Hardy locks
up with heaps of errors.

My only gripe is I can't access the repositories. browsing on the net I
find pages that are empty. Is the repositories empty and if so should I
try Debian 4.

As you can probably tell I am fairly new to Linux.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Abdul Haqq wrote:
I did my first install of Debian today after totally giving up on
Ubuntu. I used the disk that came with 'Linux Journal', Sept 2008,
Debian 5.0 'Lenny' Test.
My problem was getting the Atheros AR5007EG on my Asus X50RL to work.
With the latest MadWiFi drivers Ubuntu Hardy recognised the AP but would
not accept the WEP Key.
Loaded the same drivers in Lenny and it worked perfectly. It is so
stable in everything. It closes down without a hitch whilst Hardy locks
up with heaps of errors.

My only gripe is I can't access the repositories. browsing on the net I
find pages that are empty. Is the repositories empty and if so should I
try Debian 4.

As you can probably tell I am fairly new to Linux.

http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

Hugo

Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Jochen Schulz

Abdul Haqq:

> My only gripe is I can't access the repositories.

Which one? What's reason to browse them directly? Are you referring to
the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list at all or are you talking about
something different?

> browsing on the net I
> find pages that are empty. Is the repositories empty and if so should I
> try Debian 4.

While it is generally a good idea to use Debian stable (aka "etch"), if
lenny works for you then there is no compelling reason to switch.

J.
--
Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 PM
"Umarzuki Mochlis"

try pasting your /etc/apt/sources.list here, maybe we'll know why.

2008/10/30 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>

Abdul Haqq:

> My only gripe is I can't access the repositories.

Which one? What's reason to browse them directly? Are you referring to

the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list at all or are you talking about

something different?

> browsing on the net I

> find pages that are empty. Is the repositories empty and if so should I

> try Debian 4.

While it is generally a good idea to use Debian stable (aka "etch"), if

lenny works for you then there is no compelling reason to switch.

J.

--

Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.

[Agree] * [Disagree]

* * * * * * * * <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net