Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 AM
T o n g

Default Integrated hardware benchmark tools

Hi,

Debian repo contains many stress and benchmark tools. Some of them have
duplicated functionalities. So I guess not everyone knows how to pick
from those packages to form the most comprehensive hardware benchmark
tool kit, when you're buying a new computer or checking an old one.

If the problem baffles you as well, please join me petitioning DDs to
provide an integrated hardware benchmark kit, that can check everything
that open source benchmarking tools can check.

I know the hardest part might be to define "the best of open source
benchmarking" tools set. Luckily, according to an article that I stumbled
upon recently [1], this is done, by the Inquisitor testing platform [2].

The Inquisitor testing platform is a set of shell scripts that wraps
around the best of open source benchmarking tools such as Bonnie++,
IOzone, UnixBench, and BYTEmark. The current Inquisitor, version 3.0,
contains "25 tests and benchmarks for testing hardware devices such as
processors, hard disks, and removable devices like USB and CD drives."

I hope that we can have such integrated hardware benchmark toolkits soon.
What do you say?

Thanks

1. http://www.linux.com/feature/149774
2. http://www.inquisitor.ru/

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 05:17:05 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I hope that we can have such integrated hardware benchmark toolkits soon.
> What do you say?

Phoronix Test Suite