Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 AM
Stephen Liu

Default How to start chroot BIND automatically at boot

Hi folks,

Debian Etch
bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
chrooted

Which file I have to edit adding;
/etc/init.d/bind9 start

so bind9 will start automatically at boot.

# ls /etc/ | grep rc
bash.bashrc
inputrc
nanorc
rc.local
rc0.d
rc1.d
rc2.d
rc3.d
rc4.d
rc5.d
rc6.d
rcS.d
wgetrc

rc.local ? It is an empty file. Only "exit 0" is there.

TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Jeff D

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> Debian Etch
> bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
> chrooted
>
> Which file I have to edit adding;
> /etc/init.d/bind9 start
>
> so bind9 will start automatically at boot.
>
> TIA
>

> B.R.
> Stephen L

make sure you have the sysv-rc package installed and run
update-rc.d bind9 defaults

or man update-rc.d for other options

Jeff

Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,30.Oct.08, 12:48:32, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> Debian Etch
> bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
> chrooted

Hello,

In my very humble opinion, the point of using Debian (as opposed to LFS)
would be that you have packages precompiled and ready to use, so you
don't have to write init scripts by yourself.

In case you really, really need to recompile (because the Debian package
disables some options or enables too many) you can always pull the
sources for the Debian package and recompile that (incorporating
whatever changes you need).

> Which file I have to edit adding;
> /etc/init.d/bind9 start
>
> so bind9 will start automatically at boot.

That would be /etc/init.d/bind9

> # ls /etc/ | grep rc
> bash.bashrc
> inputrc
> nanorc
> rc.local
> rc0.d
> rc1.d
> rc2.d
> rc3.d
> rc4.d
> rc5.d
> rc6.d
> rcS.d
> wgetrc
>

> rc.local ? It is an empty file. Only "exit 0" is there.

Of course, what did you expect to find here? But if your script is
specific to a package that it is usually better to use a separate file.
There is somewhere a skeleton file which you can use to build your
script, but I would rather take the script from the official Debian bind
package and adapt to my needs.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Stephen Liu

--- Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu,30.Oct.08, 12:48:32, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Debian Etch
> > bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
> > chrooted
>
> Hello,
>
> In my very humble opinion, the point of using Debian (as opposed to
> LFS)
> would be that you have packages precompiled and ready to use, so you
> don't have to write init scripts by yourself.
>
> In case you really, really need to recompile (because the Debian
> package
> disables some options or enables too many) you can always pull the
> sources for the Debian package and recompile that (incorporating
> whatever changes you need).

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm following the guide of Postfix Virtual to build a mail server;
http://www.postfixvirtual.net/dnsbind.html#

It compiles all packages from source. I just follow their steps.

> > Which file I have to edit adding;
> > /etc/init.d/bind9 start
> >
> > so bind9 will start automatically at boot.
>
> That would be /etc/init.d/bind9
>
> > # ls /etc/ | grep rc
> > bash.bashrc
> > inputrc
> > nanorc
> > rc.local
> > rc0.d
> > rc1.d
> > rc2.d
> > rc3.d
> > rc4.d
> > rc5.d
> > rc6.d
> > rcS.d
> > wgetrc
> >

> > rc.local ? It is an empty file. Only "exit 0" is there.
>
> Of course, what did you expect to find here? But if your script is
> specific to a package that it is usually better to use a separate
> file.
> There is somewhere a skeleton file which you can use to build your
> script, but I would rather take the script from the official Debian
> bind
> package and adapt to my needs.

According to the guide it runs;

#/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u named -t /usr/local/bind -c
/etc/named.conf

to start bind9

I'll put;
/usr/local/bind/sbin/named -u named -t /usr/local/bind -c
/etc/named.conf

on rc.local

# ls /etc/init.d/ | grep bind9
No printout.

The official script is not installed because I installed bind9 from
source, I suppose.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L

Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Stephen Liu

--- Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Stephen Liu wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Debian Etch
> > bind-9.5.0 compiled on source
> > chrooted
> >
> > Which file I have to edit adding;
> > /etc/init.d/bind9 start
> >
> > so bind9 will start automatically at boot.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> > B.R.
> > Stephen L
>
> make sure you have the sysv-rc package installed and run
> update-rc.d bind9 defaults
>
> or man update-rc.d for other options
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your advice.

# apt-cache policy sysv-rc
sysv-rc:
Installed: 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1
Candidate: 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1
Version table:
*** 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 0
500 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The package has been installed.

Can I run;
update-rc.d bind9

to activate starting bind9 at boot ? Because I installed bind-9.5.0
from source.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Stephen Liu escreveu:
> I'm following the guide of Postfix Virtual to build a mail server;
> http://www.postfixvirtual.net/dnsbind.html#
>

> It compiles all packages from source. I just follow their steps.

I don't know if that guide is good or not (I don't even use postfix).
However, even if it is good, you should not follow it blindly, but adapt
it to your needs and to what you have. In the case of Debian, you can
skip the compilation steps and install the pre-compiled debian packages
and just configure them (according to the instructions there).

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br