Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
lau

Default vsftpd problem 500 OOPS: cannot change directory

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to set up a ftp server using vsftpd. I would like to
create two accounts, namely ftpmovies and ftpmusic pointing respectively
to /home/lau/movies and /home/lau/music.

According to my /etc/passwd file, those accounts are like this:
ftpmusic:x:1001:1001:,,,:/home/lau/music/:/bin/bash
ftpmovies:x:1002:1002:,,,:/home/lau/movies/:/bin/bash

Here is my vsftpd.conf:

anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=NO
local_umask=022
#anon_upload_enable=YES
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=NO
xferlog_std_format=YES
ftpd_banner=KIKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=NO
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
listen=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES
no_anon_password=YES
listen=YES
anon_root=/home/lau

So to start with, i know that the chroot_local_user parameter is not
relevant here, since changing it to NO doesn't solve the problem. However,

usermod -d /home/ftpmovies ftpmovies

is successful but is not what i'm trying to do. I read that disabling
SELinux should solve the problem. Here is my config:

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
# enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
# permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
# disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= can take one of these two values:
# default - equivalent to the old strict and targeted policies
# mls - Multi-Level Security (for military and educational use)
# src - Custom policy built from source
SELINUXTYPE=default

# SETLOCALDEFS= Check local definition changes
SETLOCALDEFS=0

Unfortunately, setting SELINUX to disabled doesn't change anything.

Anyone has a solution for this? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Jeff D

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, lau wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been trying to set up a ftp server using vsftpd. I would like to create
> two accounts, namely ftpmovies and ftpmusic pointing respectively to
> /home/lau/movies and /home/lau/music.
> According to my /etc/passwd file, those accounts are like this:
> ftpmusic:x:1001:1001:,,,:/home/lau/music/:/bin/bash
> ftpmovies:x:1002:1002:,,,:/home/lau/movies/:/bin/bash
>
> Here is my vsftpd.conf:
>
> anonymous_enable=YES
> local_enable=YES
> write_enable=NO
> local_umask=022
> #anon_upload_enable=YES
> dirmessage_enable=YES
> xferlog_enable=YES
> connect_from_port_20=NO
> xferlog_std_format=YES
> ftpd_banner=KIKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> chroot_local_user=YES
> chroot_list_enable=NO
> chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
> listen=YES
> tcp_wrappers=YES
> no_anon_password=YES
> listen=YES
> anon_root=/home/lau
>
> So to start with, i know that the chroot_local_user parameter is not relevant
> here, since changing it to NO doesn't solve the problem. However,
>
> usermod -d /home/ftpmovies ftpmovies

So, I'm unclear here, above you show the home dir for ftpmovies being in
/home/lau/movies/ and here you change it to /home/ftpmovies. Does
/home/ftpmovies exist and have the proper permissions set for ftpmovies?

Jeff