-   -   NVIDIA and VGA-out (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/184102-nvidia-vga-out.html)

Hugo Wau 10-29-2008 12:34 PM

NVIDIA and VGA-out

My Notebook running SID AMD64 actually with 2.6.27.4 vanilla kernel, is
equipped with a GeForce Go6100 graphic adapter.
I need to connect a beamer during lectures - preferably in dual screen
mode (Notebook screen + beamer being active).

NVIDIA's (closed source?) blob allows the "NVIDIA X server setting"
software to detect the beamer, which is connected via VGA-out, and to
use it just as I want it.

But the installation of NVIDIA's blob has changed my X-settings so that
I can no longer run older kernels with built in open nv- drivers.

Is there a chance to have "dual screen mode" (Notebook screen + beamer)
with open source drivers?
Or is it possible to run the system depending on the kernel version with
the NVIDIA close software for the 2.6.27 kernel and with older kernels
and the open source drivers?
Which files need to be restored from backup for either one or the other?

I thank you in advance for your answer

Hugo Wau

Florian Kulzer 10-30-2008 05:47 PM

NVIDIA and VGA-out

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:34:41 -0700, Hugo Wau wrote:
> My Notebook running SID AMD64 actually with 2.6.27.4 vanilla kernel, is
> equipped with a GeForce Go6100 graphic adapter.
> I need to connect a beamer during lectures - preferably in dual screen
> mode (Notebook screen + beamer being active).
>
> NVIDIA's (closed source?) blob allows the "NVIDIA X server setting"
> software to detect the beamer, which is connected via VGA-out, and to
> use it just as I want it.
>
> But the installation of NVIDIA's blob has changed my X-settings so that
> I can no longer run older kernels with built in open nv- drivers.
>
> Is there a chance to have "dual screen mode" (Notebook screen + beamer)
> with open source drivers?

I think the nv driver supports randr for some models, so you can try
xrandr (from package x11-xserver-utils) or grandr (package grandr).

> Or is it possible to run the system depending on the kernel version with
> the NVIDIA close software for the 2.6.27 kernel and with older kernels
> and the open source drivers?

It might be possible if you do not specify a driver in your xorg.conf,
but I don't know for sure.

> Which files need to be restored from backup for either one or the other?

The file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It has a section called "Device" which
lets you specify

Driver "nvidia"

or

Driver "nv"

Florian |

Hugo Wau 11-01-2008 10:59 AM

NVIDIA and VGA-out

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:34:41 -0700, Hugo Wau wrote:
>
>> My Notebook running SID AMD64 actually with 2.6.27.4 vanilla kernel, is
>> equipped with a GeForce Go6100 graphic adapter.
>> I need to connect a beamer during lectures - preferably in dual screen
>> mode (Notebook screen + beamer being active).
>>

> I think the nv driver supports randr for some models, so you can try
> xrandr (from package x11-xserver-utils) or grandr (package grandr).

I never had thought of xrandr but reading the man page revealed, that it
probably will detect the beamer with the --auto option. I'll give it a
try asap.
>> Or is it possible to run the system depending on the kernel version with
>> the NVIDIA close software for the 2.6.27 kernel and with older kernels
>> and the open source drivers?
>>

> It might be possible if you do not specify a driver in your xorg.conf,
> but I don't know for sure.
>

>> Which files need to be restored from backup for either one or the other?
>>

> The file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It has a section called "Device" which
> lets you specify
>
> Driver "nvidia"
>
> or
>
> Driver "nv"

Thank you Florian, this is the file which I need to change and to backup
and restore.
This was a great help.

Hugo Wau