Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
"J.H.Kim"

Default How to change the option of USB auto-mounting

Hi, everyone

When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
automatically.

I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
modify?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
J.H.Kim

Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Michael Pobega

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:17:19PM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
> automatically.
> I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
> Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
> modify?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards,
> J.H.Kim

Unless you are using GNOME/KDE, it is probably /etc/fstab. If you use
GNOME or KDE you may want to check the settings through their (which
someone else can help you out with since I use neither)

--
AIM: BlockMeHarder MSN: pobega@gmail.com
JIM: pobega@jaim.at ICQ: 467047394

Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM
hiko-seijuro

Hi,

I think you have to play with gnome-mount and hald if you are on gnome

good luck

Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

J.H.Kim wrote:

> Hi, everyone
>
> When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
> automatically.
> I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
> Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
> modify?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards,
> J.H.Kim

we recently had a discussion about it and came to the conclusion that it's
best to create and use LABEL on the USB partition(s) and use it
in /etc/fstab

if using udev you have to put your mount point under /media I think, then
plugging in the device will automount it with the options from /etc/fstab

kde/gnome have GUI for setting this up

regards

Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Michael Pobega

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:00:08PM +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> J.H.Kim wrote:
>
> > Hi, everyone
> >
> > When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
> > automatically.
> > I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
> > Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
> > modify?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Regards,
> > J.H.Kim
>
> we recently had a discussion about it and came to the conclusion that it's
> best to create and use LABEL on the USB partition(s) and use it
> in /etc/fstab
>
> if using udev you have to put your mount point under /media I think, then
> plugging in the device will automount it with the options from /etc/fstab
>
> kde/gnome have GUI for setting this up
>
> regards

What thread did you recently discuss this in? I'd like to read up on how
to do this using LABELs.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:17:19PM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
> automatically.

I assume you get this via desktop environment.

> I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
> Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
> modify?

You can certainly do this by mount command or fstab but elegant way on
Desktop is from menu.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#filenameencoding

When providing wrong mount option causes problem, erase its
corresponding setting under /system/storage/ via gconf-editor(1).

Good luck.

Osamu

Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Michael Pobega wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:00:08PM +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>> J.H.Kim wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, everyone
>> >
>> > When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
>> > automatically.
>> > I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
>> > Please telll me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
>> > modify?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > J.H.Kim
>>
>> we recently had a discussion about it and came to the conclusion that
>> it's best to create and use LABEL on the USB partition(s) and use it
>> in /etc/fstab
>>
>> if using udev you have to put your mount point under /media I think, then
>> plugging in the device will automount it with the options from /etc/fstab
>>
>> kde/gnome have GUI for setting this up
>>
>> regards
>>

> What thread did you recently discuss this in? I'd like to read up on how
> to do this using LABELs.

In this user group under "USB ownership"

and in kubuntu user list udner "USB disks directorys"

> You could also label your usb disk and/or partitions. Detailed
> instructions are found on:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive

In kde there is a GUI to do all of this. I didn't try LABEL, cause I did
UUID but then came to the conclusion LABEL is much better and user reported
the same

regards

Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:30:34 -0400, Michael Pobega (pobega@gmail.com) wrote:

> What thread did you recently discuss this in? I'd like to read up on how
> to do this using LABELs.

..was one I remember, otherwise try a search at
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

Old 10-30-2008, 01:02 AM
"s. keeling"

Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com>:
> J.H.Kim wrote:
> >
> > When my USB memory is plugged, it is mounted at /media/USB DISK
> > automatically.
> >
> > I'd like to change the mounting option with -o iocharset=cp949.
> > Please tell me which file that mounts the USB automatically should I
> > modify?
>
> we recently had a discussion about it and came to the conclusion
> that it's best to create and use LABEL on the USB partition(s) and
> use it in /etc/fstab

Thanks for that hint! I've hated the UUID in fstab stuff, but I
didn't know you could use it selectively. Doh! Yeah, UUID makes
perfect sense for USB devices. I just want my root and home ptns not
to use that cryptic !@#$. Thanks! Cool. :-)