Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Bob Cox

Default digital forensics - recovering images from a memory card with trashed file system

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 22:36:28 +0200, Micha (michf@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:

> After my camera died on a recent trip I bought a new one (nikon s52 if it
> helps). Due to some bug and bad timing on button presses the camera trashed the
> file system somehow. Based on the number of images it can write to disk it
> seems that the images are still there, but what I see under the directory is
> some directories with trashed file names that can't be used and some files with
> a size of 1TB that are junk (on a 2GB card).
>
> I'm looking for a way to rescue the images (jpegs) if possible. I tried rstudio
> under windows but it only found some AVIs but not the images (at least using
> the basic settings).
>
> Are there any programs (linux, windows or mac) that may be able to recover the
> images, or any other way to do it?
>
> It was a new (and formated) card so that there is a chance that the images
> written in some order but I don't know enough about this hardware.
>
> The card is a 2GB transcend secure digital (sd)

I seem to remember that this Windows freeware may do the job:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smart_recovery/info.htm?language=1

if not, then maybe it was this one:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1

It is a few years since I used it, but it might be worth a try.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:42:26 +0000, thveillon.debian (thveillon.debian@googlemail.com) wrote:

> Micha wrote :
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:06:51 +0000
>> "thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec
>>> did a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products
>>> from diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job
>>> through a nice gui, but they don't come for cheap.
>>> If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.
>>>

>> Thanks, you saved my @ss. Photorec did the job whithout a hitch. Took the
>> windows programs half an hour to find nothing. Photorec found all the lost
>> images in 2 minutes.
>>
> Great,
>
> Thank Christophe GRENIER who wrote the program, I even managed to
> misspell Testdisk from the same author ! ;-)

I just installed the Debian testdisk package, which includes photorec
and can confirm it is really excellent. Many thanks.