Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Goran Dobosevic

Default Error opening /etc/shadow for reading

Hi,
I'm new to linux and have Debian Lenny for 3 month. Today when i was
open kde user manager so i can add my self to fuse group I got this
massages:

Error opening /etc/shadow for reading.
kde user manager was open without root pasword
edit my accaunt->add to fuse group->ok
Can't create backup file for /etc/passwd
Cannot open file /etc/group.bak for writing.
Can't create backup file for /etc/group

Before that I was try to add my external hd to mount point.
cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
pico /etc/fstab
/dev/sda5 /mnt/external ntfs-3g
user,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

rm /etc/fstab.bak

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,
Goran.

--
Goran Dobosevic
www.dobosevic.com

Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,29.Oct.08, 07:15:12, Goran Dobosevic wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to linux and have Debian Lenny for 3 month. Today when i was open
> kde user manager so i can add my self to fuse group I got this massages:
> Error opening /etc/shadow for reading.
> kde user manager was open without root pasword
> edit my accaunt->add to fuse group->ok
> Can't create backup file for /etc/passwd
> Cannot open file /etc/group.bak for writing.
> Can't create backup file for /etc/group

Have you been prompted for the root password when you started the user
manager? What are the permissions of /etc/shadow ?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Goran Dobosevic

Andrei Popescu wrote:

I'm new to linux and have Debian Lenny for 3 month. Today when i was open
kde user manager so i can add my self to fuse group I got this massages:

Error opening /etc/shadow for reading.
kde user manager was open without root pasword
edit my accaunt->add to fuse group->ok
Can't create backup file for /etc/passwd
Cannot open file /etc/group.bak for writing.
Can't create backup file for /etc/group

Have you been prompted for the root password when you started the user
manager? What are the permissions of /etc/shadow ?

no, before few days yes.
permissions of /etc/shadow are defolt i don't know how to changed them :-)

Regards,
Andrei

Thanks for helping,
Goran

--
Goran Dobosevic
www.dobosevic.com

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,29.Oct.08, 09:51:43, Goran Dobosevic wrote:

> no, before few days yes.

Somebody who knows KDE might help here.

> permissions of /etc/shadow are defolt i don't know how to changed them :-)

Just to make sure everything is as it should be. Please show the output
of 'ls -l /etc/shadow'.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Goran Dobosevic

Andrei Popescu wrote:

permissions of /etc/shadow are defolt i don't know how to changed them :-)

Just to make sure everything is as it should be. Please show the output
of 'ls -l /etc/shadow'.

Regards,
Andrei

Here it is:
~# ls -l /etc/shadow
-rw-r----- 1 root shadow 850 2008-10-24 13:31 /etc/shadow

Regards,
Goran.

--
Goran Dobosevic
www.dobosevic.com

Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Goran Dobosevic wrote:

> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Wed,29.Oct.08, 09:51:43, Goran Dobosevic wrote:
>>

>>> no, before few days yes.
>>>

>> Somebody who knows KDE might help here.
>>

>>> permissions of /etc/shadow are defolt i don't know how to changed them
>>> :-)
>>>

>> Just to make sure everything is as it should be. Please show the output
>> of 'ls -l /etc/shadow'.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrei
>>
> Here it is:
> ~# ls -l /etc/shadow
> -rw-r----- 1 root shadow 850 2008-10-24 13:31 /etc/shadow
>
> Regards,
> Goran.

you shouldn't edit /etc/shadow at your own

if you need to edit a file owned by root under kde use kdesudo in the
konsole

kdesudo kedit /etc/shadow

/etc/shadow should be manipulated with the passwd utilities

in kde control centre you have user management, this should do the job for
you

regards

Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,29.Oct.08, 10:15:28, Goran Dobosevic wrote:

> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Wed,29.Oct.08, 09:51:43, Goran Dobosevic wrote:
>>
>>> no, before few days yes.
>>>
>> Somebody who knows KDE might help here.

Thinking about it, you could try starting kuser from a terminal and see
if you get any error messages.

>> Just to make sure everything is as it should be. Please show the
>> output of 'ls -l /etc/shadow'.

> Here it is:
> ~# ls -l /etc/shadow
> -rw-r----- 1 root shadow 850 2008-10-24 13:31 /etc/shadow