Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default copy paste from vim to konsole does not work

I have access two machines (say primary, secondary)

1) I log in into primary
2) open two konsoles on primary
3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
4) open a file in vim on secondary
5) select something in this vim session with mouse
6) go to the second konsole on primary
7) pasting the selected text with middle click does not work

However the following works
1) I log in into primary
2) open two konsoles on primary
3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
4) select something on this screen with mouse
5) go to the second konsole on primary
7) pasting the selected text with middle click works.

So the problem seems to be coming from pasting from a vim session.

primary is running Debian Etch, KDE 3.5.5
secondary is running CentOS release 5.2

On the secondary machine, I have "set mouse=a" in the .vimrc

Any idea on where I should start debugging?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Kurian Thayil

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I have access two machines (say primary, secondary)
>
> 1) I log in into primary
> 2) open two konsoles on primary
> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
> 4) open a file in vim on secondary
> 5) select something in this vim session with mouse
> 6) go to the second konsole on primary
> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click does not work
>
> However the following works
> 1) I log in into primary
> 2) open two konsoles on primary
> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
> 4) select something on this screen with mouse
> 5) go to the second konsole on primary
> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click works.
>
> So the problem seems to be coming from pasting from a vim session.
>
> primary is running Debian Etch, KDE 3.5.5
> secondary is running CentOS release 5.2
>
> On the secondary machine, I have "set mouse=a" in the .vimrc
>
> Any idea on where I should start debugging?
>
> thanks
> raju

Hi,

I hope you are pasting the line in the secondary konsole in 'Insert'
mode of VIM.

Regards,

Kurian Mathew Thayil.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Kurian Thayil wrote:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> I have access two machines (say primary, secondary)
>>
>> 1) I log in into primary
>> 2) open two konsoles on primary
>> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
>> 4) open a file in vim on secondary
>> 5) select something in this vim session with mouse
>> 6) go to the second konsole on primary
>> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click does not work
>>
>> However the following works
>> 1) I log in into primary
>> 2) open two konsoles on primary
>> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
>> 4) select something on this screen with mouse
>> 5) go to the second konsole on primary
>> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click works.
>>
>> So the problem seems to be coming from pasting from a vim session.
>>
>> primary is running Debian Etch, KDE 3.5.5
>> secondary is running CentOS release 5.2
>>
>> On the secondary machine, I have "set mouse=a" in the .vimrc
>>
>> Any idea on where I should start debugging?
>>
>> thanks
>> raju
>>
> Hi,
>
> I hope you are pasting the line in the secondary konsole in 'Insert'
> mode of VIM.

In the second konsole, I have not opened opened any vim sessions. There, I
am trying to paste at the konsole prompt.

raju

Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:29:20AM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I have access two machines (say primary, secondary)
>
> 1) I log in into primary
> 2) open two konsoles on primary
> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
> 4) open a file in vim on secondary
> 5) select something in this vim session with mouse
> 6) go to the second konsole on primary
> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click does not work
>
> However the following works
> 1) I log in into primary
> 2) open two konsoles on primary
> 3) From one of the konsoles, ssh into secondary
> 4) select something on this screen with mouse
> 5) go to the second konsole on primary
> 7) pasting the selected text with middle click works.
>
> So the problem seems to be coming from pasting from a vim session.

:h mouse

Specifically, what is the output of:

:set mouse

Maybe you need to hold down the shift key while marking with the mouse?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> :h mouse
>
> Specifically, what is the output of:
>
> :set mouse

The output is

mouse=a

> Maybe you need to hold down the shift key while marking with the mouse?

Holding the shift key while marking with the mouse worked. Thanks for the
tip.

raju