Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Nick Boyce

Default Sarge Repository Gone

On our last remaining Sarge box (I know, I know ..) my periodic
"apt-get" script which checks for updates (I realise security stopped
back in March) failed last weekend with 404s on all the package lists
for Sarge (it uses ftp.de.debian.org).

A check of packages.debian.org seems to confirm Sarge packages are not
being offered any more, and having seen a post that Sarge is moving to
archive.d.o, I looked and can see that Sarge is mostly there
("/dists/sarge" is there, but there's no "/dists/Debian-3.1", and the
/README file doesn't mention Sarge/3.1). I can see the directories are
dated 28th.Oct, so it's probably still underway.

Can anyone confirm for me that it should be okay for us to repoint
sources.list to archive.d.o for a while, in order to apt-get anything we
need to install prior to our belated upgrade to Etch ?

Thanks,
Nick Boyce

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 AM
"s. keeling"

Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk>:
> On our last remaining Sarge box (I know, I know ..) my periodic
> [snip]
> Can anyone confirm for me that it should be okay for us to repoint
> sources.list to archive.d.o for a while, in order to apt-get anything we

Why not just point it at a locally mounted DVD? Then, you'd be safe
from a direct strike on a.d.o (though nothing else)? :-P

man apt-cdrom.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:08 AM
Nick Boyce

s. keeling wrote:

Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk>:

Can anyone confirm for me that it should be okay for us to repoint
sources.list to archive.d.o for a while, in order to apt-get anything we

Why not just point it at a locally mounted DVD? Then, you'd be safe
from a direct strike on a.d.o (though nothing else)? :-P

Yep, could do that - I think we've got an ISO for Sarge somewhere ....

I found a blog post by Joerg Jaspert [1] explaining that he began the
removal of Sarge from the main repository on 26th.Oct.2008, and is
transferring it to archive.d.o, and expects the process to take a few days.

Actually I've been trying to use the new repository, just to see what
happens. It's a bit unreliable so far :

Yesterday:

MYBOX:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages [4523kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Release
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Packages
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Release
Get:2 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release [98B]
Get:3 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages [76.6kB]
Get:4 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Release [102B]
Fetched 4599kB in 44s (104kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done

But today:

MYBOX:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages
404 Not Found
Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Release
Ign http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages
404 Not Found
Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Release
Ign http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Release
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Packages
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Release
Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/sarge/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/sarge/updates/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/sarge/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found

Reading Package Lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

I've just stopped using apt-get to d.o sites for now. I'd rather not
have to leave a DVD in the server's DVD-ROM drive, but it could be done.

[1]
http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/10/26/archiving-sarge-aka-oldstable.html

Cheers
Nick Boyce