Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Micha

Default digital forensics - recovering images from a memory card with trashed file system

After my camera died on a recent trip I bought a new one (nikon s52 if it
helps). Due to some bug and bad timing on button presses the camera trashed the
file system somehow. Based on the number of images it can write to disk it
seems that the images are still there, but what I see under the directory is
some directories with trashed file names that can't be used and some files with
a size of 1TB that are junk (on a 2GB card).

I'm looking for a way to rescue the images (jpegs) if possible. I tried rstudio
under windows but it only found some AVIs but not the images (at least using
the basic settings).

Are there any programs (linux, windows or mac) that may be able to recover the
images, or any other way to do it?

It was a new (and formated) card so that there is a chance that the images
written in some order but I don't know enough about this hardware.

The card is a 2GB transcend secure digital (sd)

thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Micha a écrit :

[...]

Hi,

with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec did
a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products from
diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job through a nice
gui, but they don't come for cheap.

If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.

Tom

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

thveillon.debian wrote:

> Micha a écrit :
>> After my camera died on a recent trip I bought a new one (nikon s52 if it
>> helps). Due to some bug and bad timing on button presses the camera
>> trashed the file system somehow. Based on the number of images it can
>> write to disk it seems that the images are still there, but what I see
>> under the directory is some directories with trashed file names that
>> can't be used and some files with a size of 1TB that are junk (on a 2GB
>> card).
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to rescue the images (jpegs) if possible. I tried
>> rstudio under windows but it only found some AVIs but not the images (at
>> least using the basic settings).
>>
>> Are there any programs (linux, windows or mac) that may be able to
>> recover the images, or any other way to do it?
>>
>> It was a new (and formated) card so that there is a chance that the
>> images written in some order but I don't know enough about this hardware.
>>
>> The card is a 2GB transcend secure digital (sd)
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Hi,
>
> with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec did
> a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products from
> diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job through a nice
> gui, but they don't come for cheap.
> If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.
>
> Tom

why don't try a card reader

regards

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Micha

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:07:44 +0100
Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> thveillon.debian wrote:
>
> > Micha a écrit :
> >> After my camera died on a recent trip I bought a new one (nikon s52 if it
> >> helps). Due to some bug and bad timing on button presses the camera
> >> trashed the file system somehow. Based on the number of images it can
> >> write to disk it seems that the images are still there, but what I see
> >> under the directory is some directories with trashed file names that
> >> can't be used and some files with a size of 1TB that are junk (on a 2GB
> >> card).
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a way to rescue the images (jpegs) if possible. I tried
> >> rstudio under windows but it only found some AVIs but not the images (at
> >> least using the basic settings).
> >>
> >> Are there any programs (linux, windows or mac) that may be able to
> >> recover the images, or any other way to do it?
> >>
> >> It was a new (and formated) card so that there is a chance that the
> >> images written in some order but I don't know enough about this hardware.
> >>
> >> The card is a 2GB transcend secure digital (sd)
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec did
> > a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products from
> > diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job through a nice
> > gui, but they don't come for cheap.
> > If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> why don't try a card reader

I tried 3. I wouldn't be able to access the card at all without one ...
Like I said, it's not the card that's the problem it's the file system that is
ruined, and even that partially, it's the file inodes (or whatever they are
called under fat) or directory entries that were junked. I'm guessing that due
to some concurrent read/write without a mutex or something like that.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Micha a écrit :

I tried 3. I wouldn't be able to access the card at all without one ...
Like I said, it's not the card that's the problem it's the file system that is
ruined, and even that partially, it's the file inodes (or whatever they are
called under fat) or directory entries that were junked. I'm guessing that due
to some concurrent read/write without a mutex or something like that.

Hi,

maybe Testdisk can help you rebuild the filesystem, it has never worked
great for me on usb drives though... It's more easily done if you know
exactly what the fs was, the partition scheme...

Otherwise, did you try your camera or the memory card manufacturer
website ? They may have emergency rescue tools.

Tom

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Micha

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:06:51 +0000
"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Micha a écrit :
> > After my camera died on a recent trip I bought a new one (nikon s52 if it
> > helps). Due to some bug and bad timing on button presses the camera trashed
> > the file system somehow. Based on the number of images it can write to disk
> > it seems that the images are still there, but what I see under the
> > directory is some directories with trashed file names that can't be used
> > and some files with a size of 1TB that are junk (on a 2GB card).
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to rescue the images (jpegs) if possible. I tried
> > rstudio under windows but it only found some AVIs but not the images (at
> > least using the basic settings).
> >
> > Are there any programs (linux, windows or mac) that may be able to recover
> > the images, or any other way to do it?
> >
> > It was a new (and formated) card so that there is a chance that the images
> > written in some order but I don't know enough about this hardware.
> >
> > The card is a 2GB transcend secure digital (sd)
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Hi,
>
> with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec did
> a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products from
> diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job through a nice
> gui, but they don't come for cheap.
> If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.

Thanks, you saved my @ss. Photorec did the job whithout a hitch. Took the
windows programs half an hour to find nothing. Photorec found all the lost
images in 2 minutes.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Micha wrote :

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:06:51 +0000
with Linux I guess Tesdisk and Photorec are your best bet, photorec did
a great job for me once. With windows and Mac I guess products from
diskinternals.com and prosofteng.com can do a similar job through a nice
gui, but they don't come for cheap.

If you want win/mac freeware just have a look on softpedia.com.

Thanks, you saved my @ss. Photorec did the job whithout a hitch. Took the
windows programs half an hour to find nothing. Photorec found all the lost
images in 2 minutes.

Great,

Thank Christophe GRENIER who wrote the program, I even managed to
misspell Testdisk from the same author ! ;-)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page

Tom