Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default Nvidia, apt-get & Synaptic

On Tue,28.Oct.08, 14:17:51, MLewis wrote:

> Thanks for the link Jack. Very good instructions, but I'm missing
> something. When I do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I am not asked about
> any video options at all. Something I must have missed along the way.

You're not missing anything. Xorg in Lenny now does a lot of automatic
configuration and will usually detect the correct driver, but in this
particular case it doesn't. Just make sure you have the nvidia-glx
package (or nvidia-glx-legacy, depending on your chip--see the package
descriptions) installed and you will need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
add a line

Driver "nvidia"

in the "Device" section. It might work without it (haven't tested
myself) if you don't have the xserver-xorg-video-nv package, though I
prefer to keep it installed, just in case nvidia is making trouble.

Such precautions are usually not necessary on stable (which lenny is
very close to).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 14:17:25 -0500, MLewis wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:

[...]

>> First, make sure you have either the linux-headers-* package for your
>> kernel (if you use a precompiled kernel from Debian) or the source tree
>> which you used to compile your own kernel. Then:
>>
>> $ sudo aptitude install module-assistant
>> $ sudo m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
>>

> All seems fine up to this point. However when I run 'dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg, I am not given the choice of any options at all regarding
> video.

That is how things are these days, with the latest Xorg being able to
detect everything automatically, in theory at least. (Only a very
minimal xorg.conf is written by "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and it
does not specify the video driver at all.)

I would first make sure that your nvidia kernel module can be loaded:

modprobe -v nvidia
lsmod | grep nvidia

If that is OK, (re)start X and run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.

If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
available, put

Driver "nvidia"

into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.

Florian |

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
MLewis

Andrei Popescu wrote:

Thanks for the link Jack. Very good instructions, but I'm missing
something. When I do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I am not asked about
any video options at all. Something I must have missed along the way.

You're not missing anything. Xorg in Lenny now does a lot of automatic
configuration and will usually detect the correct driver, but in this
particular case it doesn't. Just make sure you have the nvidia-glx
package (or nvidia-glx-legacy, depending on your chip--see the package
descriptions) installed and you will need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
add a line

Driver "nvidia"

I tried this. Same thing, only 640x480 resolution :-(

AFAIK, I have no nv.ko nor nvidia.ko files present on the system.

in the "Device" section. It might work without it (haven't tested
myself) if you don't have the xserver-xorg-video-nv package, though I
prefer to keep it installed, just in case nvidia is making trouble.

Such precautions are usually not necessary on stable (which lenny is
very close to).

Regards,
Andrei

Thanks,
Mike
--

Never write software that patronizes the user.

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
MLewis

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 14:17:25 -0500, MLewis wrote:

Jochen Schulz wrote:

[...]

> That is how things are these days, with the latest Xorg being able to

detect everything automatically, in theory at least. (Only a very
minimal xorg.conf is written by "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and it
does not specify the video driver at all.)

I would first make sure that your nvidia kernel module can be loaded:

modprobe -v nvidia

modprobe -v nvidia
[nothing returned]

lsmod | grep nvidia

lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia 7086148 24
agpgart 28776 1 nvidia
i2c_core 19828 2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2

If that is OK, (re)start X and run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so

to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.

glxinfo & glxgears were not found.

If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
available, put

Driver "nvidia"

> into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.

Did this. Still 600x480 and no choices to change resolutions.

Thanks,
Mike

--

IBM: Intriguingly Blue Motif

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 15:48:41 -0500, MLewis wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 14:17:25 -0500, MLewis wrote:
>>> Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> [...]
> > That is how things are these days, with the latest Xorg being able to
>> detect everything automatically, in theory at least. (Only a very
>> minimal xorg.conf is written by "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and it
>> does not specify the video driver at all.)
>>
>> I would first make sure that your nvidia kernel module can be loaded:
>>
>> modprobe -v nvidia
>
> modprobe -v nvidia
> [nothing returned]
>
>> lsmod | grep nvidia
>
> lsmod | grep nvidia
> nvidia 7086148 24
> agpgart 28776 1 nvidia
> i2c_core 19828 2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2

That looks like the module is loaded normally.

>> If that is OK, (re)start X and run
>>
>> grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so

OK, fine.

>> to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
>> loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
>> mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.
>
> glxinfo & glxgears were not found.

Install the mesa-utils package, then use these commands to see if direct
rendering is working.

>> If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
>> available, put
>>
>> Driver "nvidia"
>>
> > into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.
>
> Did this. Still 600x480 and no choices to change resolutions.

Check the output of

grep -E '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to see if there are any errors or warnings. Post the output here if
there is anything.

Try nvidia-settings or maybe xrandr (I don't know if the nvidia driver
supports this fully) for setting the resolution. Check the nvidia
documentation, or try the old fashioned approach in the "Screen" section
of xorg.conf. (I have not used nvidia cards in almost two years, so my
knowledge is unfortunately not current anymore.)

Florian |

Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,28.Oct.08, 15:48:41, MLewis wrote:

>> modprobe -v nvidia
>
> modprobe -v nvidia
> [nothing returned]

Ok

>> lsmod | grep nvidia
>
> lsmod | grep nvidia
> nvidia 7086148 24
> agpgart 28776 1 nvidia
> i2c_core 19828 2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2

Ok

>> If that is OK, (re)start X and run
>>
>> grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so

Ok

>> to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
>> loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
>> mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.
>
> glxinfo & glxgears were not found.

They are in the package mesa-utils

>> If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
>> available, put
>>
>> Driver "nvidia"
>>
> > into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.
> >

> Did this. Still 600x480 and no choices to change resolutions.

Could it be that your monitor is old enough to not be automatically
recognized?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
MLewis

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]
to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.

glxinfo & glxgears were not found.

Install the mesa-utils package, then use these commands to see if direct
rendering is working.

rattler:/etc/X11# glxinfo | grep direct
Error: unable to open display
rattler:/etc/X11# glxgears
Error: couldn't open display (null)

If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
available, put

Driver "nvidia"

into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.

Did this. Still 600x480 and no choices to change resolutions.

Check the output of

grep -E '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to see if there are any errors or warnings. Post the output here if
there is anything.

rattler:/etc/X11# grep -E '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot
compute DPI

(WW) NVIDIA(0): from CRT-0's EDID.
(WW) Configured Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...

Maybe my monitor is too old. NEC MultiSync P1150.

Try nvidia-settings or maybe xrandr (I don't know if the nvidia driver
supports this fully) for setting the resolution. Check the nvidia
documentation, or try the old fashioned approach in the "Screen" section
of xorg.conf. (I have not used nvidia cards in almost two years, so my
knowledge is unfortunately not current anymore.)

--

Save energy: Drive a smaller shell.

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,28.Oct.08, 17:09:40, MLewis wrote:

>> Install the mesa-utils package, then use these commands to see if direct
>> rendering is working.
>
> rattler:/etc/X11# glxinfo | grep direct
> Error: unable to open display
> rattler:/etc/X11# glxgears
> Error: couldn't open display (null)

Err, you are doing this with X started, yes?

> rattler:/etc/X11# grep -E '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
> (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute
> DPI
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): from CRT-0's EDID.
> (WW) Configured Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...
>
> Maybe my monitor is too old. NEC MultiSync P1150.

Could be. It would probably be enough to put the H-Sync and V-Sync
ranges for your monitor in xorg.conf. Haven't done this in a while so I
can't give you exact details, but google should have plenty of examples.

Note: you will probably find a lot of examples with complicated
modelines. Ignore those for now, put only the V-Sync and H-Sync and see
if you get any further.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:09:40 -0500, MLewis wrote:

[...]

> rattler:/etc/X11# glxinfo | grep direct
> Error: unable to open display
> rattler:/etc/X11# glxgears
> Error: couldn't open display (null)

Don't run it as root, run it as the user who owns the X session.

Florian |

Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Jochen Schulz

MLewis:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>>
>> Install the mesa-utils package, then use these commands to see if direct
>> rendering is working.
>
> rattler:/etc/X11# glxinfo | grep direct
> Error: unable to open display
> rattler:/etc/X11# glxgears
> Error: couldn't open display (null)

You have to run these inside X. It appears you are trying to do that on
a VT. If you actually get these results from within X, check the
$DISPLAY environment variable (echo $DISPLAY).

J.
--
I lust after strangers but only date people from the office.
[Agree] [Disagree]