Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Sven Joachim

Default Problem apt-get install ssh - Could not early remove e2fsprogs

On 2008-10-28 18:17 +0100, Fu-Tung Cheng wrote:

> # apt-get install ssh
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> coreutils cramfsprogs dash debianutils e2fslibs e2fsprogs initrd-tools
> initscripts libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1 libc6 libc6-dev libcomerr2
> libdevmapper1.02 libedit2 libkrb53 libncurses5 libpam0g libselinux1
> libsepol1 libss2 libssl0.9.8 libuuid1 lsb-base mktemp mount
> openssh-blacklist openssh-client openssh-server sysv-rc sysvinit
> sysvinit-utils tzdata zlib1g
> coreutils dash e2fslibs initscripts libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1 libcomerr2

Dude, you must have a _very_ weired distribution mixture, the coreutils
package is essential since the Sarge (aka oldstable) release. Did you
ever run "apt-get dist-upgrade" on that machine?

> libdevmapper1.02 libedit2 libkrb53 libselinux1 libsepol1 libss2 libssl0.9.8
> libuuid1 lsb-base mktemp openssh-blacklist openssh-client openssh-server
> sysv-rc sysvinit-utils tzdata
> 12 packages upgraded, 24 newly installed, 0 to remove and 364 not upgraded.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you have to resolve this huge backlog of old packages before
anything else. This might involve upgrading them their to Sarge version
first. Which ATM might not be possible, since that release is being
archived currently¹.

Sven

¹ http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/10/26/archiving-sarge-aka-oldstable.html

Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Fu-Tung Cheng

Hi Celejar,

Thank you for the reply.

# more /etc/debian_version
3.1

How do you typically go about doing a full upgrade. I know one of the previous posters said that sarge was being archived and might not be available for a while.

Thank you,

Fu-Tung