Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Fu-Tung Cheng

Default Problem apt-get install ssh - Could not early remove e2fsprogs

Hi,

I am a rookie debian user and I am not sure how to get around this error. Any advise or pointers appreciated.

Fu-Tung

# apt-get install ssh
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
coreutils cramfsprogs dash debianutils e2fslibs e2fsprogs initrd-tools
initscripts libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1 libc6 libc6-dev libcomerr2
libdevmapper1.02 libedit2 libkrb53 libncurses5 libpam0g libselinux1
libsepol1 libss2 libssl0.9.8 libuuid1 lsb-base mktemp mount
openssh-blacklist openssh-client openssh-server sysv-rc sysvinit
sysvinit-utils tzdata zlib1g
coreutils dash e2fslibs initscripts libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1 libcomerr2
libdevmapper1.02 libedit2 libkrb53 libselinux1 libsepol1 libss2 libssl0.9.8
libuuid1 lsb-base mktemp openssh-blacklist openssh-client openssh-server
sysv-rc sysvinit-utils tzdata
12 packages upgraded, 24 newly installed, 0 to remove and 364 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.3MB of archives. After unpacking 29.5MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main tzdata 2008e-1etch3 [353kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13etch7 [4700kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main e2fslibs 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [87.2kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libsepol1 1.14-2 [113kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libselinux1 1.32-3 [59.2kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libdevmapper1.02 2:1.02.08-1 [38.5kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libblkid1 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [43.5kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libcomerr2 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [31.2kB]
Get:9 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libss2 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [37.3kB]
Get:10 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libuuid1 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [33.5kB]
Get:11 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main mount 2.12r-19etch1 [157kB]
Get:12 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libattr1 2.4.32-1 [9034B]
Get:13 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libacl1 2.2.41-1 [15.0kB]
Get:14 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main coreutils 5.97-5.3 [3137kB]
Get:15 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main mktemp 1.5-2 [10.5kB]
Get:16 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main debianutils 2.17 [50.6kB]
Get:17 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main lsb-base 3.1-23.2etch1 [16.6kB]
Get:18 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main sysvinit-utils 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 [65.7kB]
Get:19 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main e2fsprogs 1.39+1.40-WIP-2006.11.14+dfsg-2etch1 [596kB]
Get:20 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main initscripts 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 [59.7kB]
Get:21 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main sysv-rc 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 [56.2kB]
Get:22 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main sysvinit 2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 [108kB]
Get:23 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main zlib1g 1:1.2.3-13 [70.5kB]
Get:24 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main cramfsprogs 1.1-6 [21.3kB]
Get:25 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main dash 0.5.3-7 [86.0kB]
Get:26 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main initrd-tools 0.1.84.2 [32.2kB]
Get:27 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libc6-dev 2.3.6.ds1-13etch7 [2718kB]
Get:28 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libncurses5 5.5-5 [300kB]
Get:29 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libpam0g 0.79-5 [79.8kB]
Get:30 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libssl0.9.8 0.9.8c-4etch3 [2717kB]
Get:31 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libkrb53 1.4.4-7etch6 [408kB]
Get:32 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main openssh-blacklist 0.1.1 [2122kB]
Get:33 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main ssh 1:4.3p2-9etch3 [1052B]
Get:34 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main openssh-server 1:4.3p2-9etch3 [224kB]
Get:35 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main libedit2 2.9.cvs.20050518-2.2 [55.4kB]
Get:36 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main openssh-client 1:4.3p2-9etch3 [660kB]
Fetched 19.3MB in 1m54s (168kB/s)
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs

Old 10-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,28.Oct.08, 10:17:41, Fu-Tung Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a rookie debian user and I am not sure how to get around this error. Any advise or pointers appreciated.

[...]

> Fetched 19.3MB in 1m54s (168kB/s)
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the
> essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This
> is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the
> APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs

This should NOT happen. How did you install this system, [what Debian
version (etch, lenny, sid) and what kind of image did you use (full
CD/DVD, netinst, ...)]. Also your /etc/apt/sources.list might be
interesting to see.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)