Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM
MLewis

Default Nvidia, apt-get & Synaptic

I'm new to the list and Debian, but not new to Linux. I have been
running RH for 10+ years and recently was very impressed with Debian and
decided to make the switch. Congrats to the team that puts Debian
together, it looks like a well thought out distribution. Also, thanks
much for an update method that doesn't require a six-pack to get through.

I'm running Lenny Beta2.

Two questions:

Nvidia - I have an Nvidia Geforce 6600LE video card in my machine. I
understand that it is better to run 'nvidia' or 'nv' drivers than to get
the binaries from Nvidia (However no glx mode). I have looked for the nv
& nvidia drivers on my machine and apparently do not have them:

rattler:/etc/postfix$ dpkg -S nv.ko
linux-image-2.6.26-1-686:
/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_nv.ko

rattler:/etc/postfix$ dpkg -S nvidia.ko
dpkg: *nvidia.ko* not found.

I've tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but that didn't help either.
What package do I need to install to get the nv & nvidia drivers?

Synaptic vs apt-get: Is there a difference in these two packages other
than one is a GUI and one is CLI? If so, is one method preferred over
the other?

Thanks,
Mike

--

Computers are only human.

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Jochen Schulz

MLewis:

> I'm running Lenny Beta2.

There is no such Debian version. What you probably have is lenny (in its
current or an earlier state), installed by the Debian Installer beta2.

(Sorry for the nitpicking, it's just that Debian doesn't have any
releases which it calls beta. Only single packages or projects inside
Debian may do that, like debian-installer.)

> Two questions:
>
> Nvidia - I have an Nvidia Geforce 6600LE video card in my machine. I
> understand that it is better to run 'nvidia' or 'nv' drivers than to get
> the binaries from Nvidia (However no glx mode). I have looked for the nv
> & nvidia drivers on my machine and apparently do not have them:

You have to either install precompiled modules for your kernel or
compile them yourself. Both options are (usually) quite easy.

Option 1)

$ apt-cache search nvidia module `uname -r
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (legacy version)
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem (legacy version)

(just an example from my system)

Then proceed to install the package you need:

$ sudo aptitude install nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686

Option 2)

First, make sure you have either the linux-headers-* package for your
kernel (if you use a precompiled kernel from Debian) or the source tree
which you used to compile your own kernel. Then:

$ sudo aptitude install module-assistant
$ sudo m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source

> Synaptic vs apt-get: Is there a difference in these two packages other
> than one is a GUI and one is CLI? If so, is one method preferred over
> the other?

I am not sure about these differences, but the recommended package
manager is aptitude (CLI and ncurses interface).

J.
--
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Jack Schneider

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:52:43 -0500
MLewis <cajun@cajuninc.com> wrote:

> I'm new to the list and Debian, but not new to Linux. I have been
> running RH for 10+ years and recently was very impressed with Debian
> and decided to make the switch. Congrats to the team that puts Debian
> together, it looks like a well thought out distribution. Also, thanks
> much for an update method that doesn't require a six-pack to get
> through.
>
> I'm running Lenny Beta2.
>
> Two questions:
>
> Nvidia - I have an Nvidia Geforce 6600LE video card in my machine. I
> understand that it is better to run 'nvidia' or 'nv' drivers than to
> get the binaries from Nvidia (However no glx mode). I have looked for
> the nv & nvidia drivers on my machine and apparently do not have them:
>
> rattler:/etc/postfix$ dpkg -S nv.ko
> linux-image-2.6.26-1-686:
> /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_nv.ko
> rattler:/etc/postfix$ dpkg -S nvidia.ko
> dpkg: *nvidia.ko* not found.
>
> I've tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but that didn't help either.
> What package do I need to install to get the nv & nvidia drivers?
>

> Synaptic vs apt-get: Is there a difference in these two packages
> other than one is a GUI and one is CLI? If so, is one method
> preferred over the other?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi, Mike

Try this link :

http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html

Len watches this list so you might ask him if you have further questions

Jack

Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
MLewis

Jochen Schulz wrote:

MLewis:

I'm running Lenny Beta2.

There is no such Debian version. What you probably have is lenny (in its
current or an earlier state), installed by the Debian Installer beta2.

(Sorry for the nitpicking, it's just that Debian doesn't have any
releases which it calls beta. Only single packages or projects inside
Debian may do that, like debian-installer.)

Very good information. Thank you.

[...]

rattler:~$ apt-cache search nvidia module `uname -r`
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel module for
Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for
Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (legacy version)
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel
module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem (legacy version)
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux
2.6.26-1-686

Then proceed to install the package you need:

$ sudo aptitude install nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686

Option 2)

First, make sure you have either the linux-headers-* package for your
kernel (if you use a precompiled kernel from Debian) or the source tree
which you used to compile your own kernel. Then:

$ sudo aptitude install module-assistant
$ sudo m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source

All seems fine up to this point. However when I run 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg, I am not given the choice of any options at all regarding
video.

Synaptic vs apt-get: Is there a difference in these two packages other
than one is a GUI and one is CLI? If so, is one method preferred over
the other?

I am not sure about these differences, but the recommended package
manager is aptitude (CLI and ncurses interface).

J.

Thanks!

--

Help! I'm trapped in a Chinese computer factory!

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
MLewis

Jack Schneider wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link Jack. Very good instructions, but I'm missing
something. When I do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I am not asked about
any video options at all. Something I must have missed along the way.

Thanks,

Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org