Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Fredrik Tolf

Default Sendmail filesystem access

Hi list!

I'm wondering what's up with the sendmail configuration in Debian. There
seems to be some kind of filesystem call wrapper installed in Sendmail
that prevents various parts of sendmail access to various parts of the
filesystem even though it's running as root, but I can't figure out what
part of Sendmail does it or how it can be configured.

It isn't just limited to sendmail proper either, but also programs like
makemap. Right now, I'm having problems with regenerating access.db,
like this:

$ pwd
/etc/mail
$ sudo make
Creating /etc/mail/relay-domains
# Optional file...
Updating access_db ...
makemap: error opening type hash map /etc/mail/access.new.db: Permission
denied
chown: cannot access `/etc/mail/access.new.db': No such file or
directory
chmod: cannot access `/etc/mail/access.new.db': No such file or
directory
mv: cannot stat `/etc/mail/access.new.db': No such file or directory
make: *** [/etc/mail/access.db] Error 1
$ ls -ld
drwxr-xr-x 7 smmta smmsp 4096 2008-10-28 03:41 .

Does anyone know how this can be remedied, and where it comes from in
the first place?

Fredrik Tolf