Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
"Star Liu"

Default how to start postgresql server at machine startup?

I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
commands to start it everytime when i restart system

Desktop:~# su postgres
Desktop:/root$ cd ~
Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &

i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
but it doesn't work

how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup? thanks

--
I'm a debian user and a web developer(XML+XSLT+AJAX+PostgreSQL+PHP) in
City of Shanghai, China.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Ron Johnson

I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
commands to start it everytime when i restart system

Desktop:~# su postgres
Desktop:/root$ cd ~
Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &

i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:

Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????

su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
but it doesn't work

how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup? thanks

How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then
Debian will handle all this for you.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 AM
"Star Liu"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:
>>
>> I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
>> automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
>> commands to start it everytime when i restart system
>>
>> Desktop:~# su postgres
>> Desktop:/root$ cd ~
>> Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &
>>
>> i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
>
> Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
startup into this file

>> su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
>> /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
>> but it doesn't work
>>
>> how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
>> thanks
>
> How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
> handle all this for you.
Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
automate it? thanks

("Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is
in trouble again." - haha, it's interesting)

> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
> he is in trouble again.

I'm a debian user and a web
developer(XML+XSLT+AJAX+XHTML+CSS+PostgreSQL+MON O C#) in City of

Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 AM
Ron Johnson

On 10/27/08 22:36, Star Liu wrote:

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:

I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
commands to start it everytime when i restart system

Desktop:~# su postgres
Desktop:/root$ cd ~
Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &

i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:

Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????

I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
startup into this file

Stuff like that goes in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.local.

su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
/var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
but it doesn't work

how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
thanks

How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
handle all this for you.

Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
automate it? thanks

There *must* be a relevant /etc/init.d/postgre* file.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 AM
"Star Liu"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/27/08 22:36, Star Liu wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
>>
>> I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
>> startup into this file
>
> Stuff like that goes in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.local.

>>> How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then Debian
>>> will
>>> handle all this for you.
>>
>> Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
>> system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
>> automate it? thanks
>
> There *must* be a relevant /etc/init.d/postgre* file.

yes, there is a /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3, its content is:
[ -r /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions ] || exit 0

. /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions

VERSION=8.3

case "$1" in
start)
start $VERSION
;;
stop)
stop "$VERSION"
;;
restart)
restart "$VERSION"
;;
force-reload | reload)
reload $VERSION
;;
status)
status $VERSION
;;
autovac-start)
autovac_start $VERSION
;;
autovac-stop)
autovac_stop $VERSION
;;
autovac-restart)
autovac_restart $VERSION
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0
{start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status|autovac-start|autovac-stop|autovac-restart}"
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0
so should i add the following line into this file?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Ron Johnson

wrote:

[...]

No. I had PostgreSQL installed for a long time, and it *always*
started up on boot.

Look in /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions to see if
there's some env variable that controls whether the boot script
immediately dies or not. It might reference a file in /etc/default.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 AM
"Adrian Levi"

2008/10/28 Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> There *must* be a relevant /etc/init.d/postgre* file.
>
> yes, there is a /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3, its content is:

try reading the contents of:
$ man update-rc.d

It will tell you how to set up the postgres-8.3 script to run at
different runlevels.

> so should i add the following line into this file?
> su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
> /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres

No it's already all in there, you can manually call this script by typing:
# /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Jeff D

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Star Liu wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On 10/27/08 21:07, Star Liu wrote:
> >>
> >> I installed postgresql server in my machine, but i does not start
> >> automatically at startup time, so i need to mannually type these
> >> commands to start it everytime when i restart system
> >>
> >> Desktop:~# su postgres
> >> Desktop:/root$ cd ~
> >> Desktop:~$ postgres -D ~/data >~/log/logfile 2>&1 &
> >>
> >> i tried to add this command line into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95StarHabit:
> >
> > Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
> I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
> startup into this file
>
> >> su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
> >> /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
> >> but it doesn't work
> >>
> >> how can i make these commands automatically executed at system startup?
> >> thanks
> >
> > How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
> > handle all this for you.
> Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
> system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
> automate it? thanks

Are you sure its not starting and just listening on the localhost
interface? This is how it comes configured by default. If you want it to
listen on a different interface you have to edit
/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf to reflect that and restart it
through /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart .

jeff

Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM
"Star Liu"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/28/08 00:15, Star Liu wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Stuff like that goes in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.local.

>>> There *must* be a relevant /etc/init.d/postgre* file.
>>
>> yes, there is a /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3, its content is:
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> [ -r /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions ] || exit 0
>>
>> . /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions
>>
>> VERSION=8.3
>>
>> case "$1" in
>> start)
>> start $VERSION
>> ;;
>> stop)
>> stop "$VERSION"
>> ;;
>> restart)
>> restart "$VERSION"
>> ;;
>> force-reload | reload)
>> reload $VERSION
>> ;;
>> status)
>> status $VERSION
>> ;;
>> autovac-start)
>> autovac_start $VERSION
>> ;;
>> autovac-stop)
>> autovac_stop $VERSION
>> ;;
>> autovac-restart)
>> autovac_restart $VERSION
>> ;;
>> *)
>> echo "Usage: $0
>>
>> {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status|autovac-start|autovac-stop|autovac-restart}"
>> exit 1
>> ;;
>> esac
>>
>> exit 0
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> so should i add the following line into this file?
>> su -c "postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/data >
>> /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &" postgres
>
> No. I had PostgreSQL installed for a long time, and it *always* started up
> on boot.
I remember that after installing postgresql server, there was no data
and log folders, then i manually created the data and log folders, and
initiated the database, then i can start the database by "postgres -D
/var/lib/postgresql/data > /var/lib/postgresql/log/logfile 2>&1 &".

> Look in /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions to see if there's some
> env variable that controls whether the boot script immediately dies or not.
> It might reference a file in /etc/default.
this file is too complex for me to read, i know little about bash
script. but thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
"Star Liu"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Star Liu wrote:

>> > Why the heck would you put it in an X script??????????
>> I do not know, I just put all the things I want to do at system
>> startup into this file

>> > How did you install PostgreSQL? If thru a Debian package, then Debian will
>> > handle all this for you.
>> Yes, i installed it thru debian package, but it doesn't start up at
>> system startup, so i need to start it by myself, is there anyway to
>> automate it? thanks
>>

> Are you sure its not starting and just listening on the localhost
> interface? This is how it comes configured by default. If you want it to
> listen on a different interface you have to edit
> /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf to reflect that and restart it
> through /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart .
my /etc/postgresql folder has nothing inside, did i miss some process
for postgresql server? thanks