Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Default Snort (debian (etch) always ago)

Márcio Luciano Donada escreveu:
> Hi list,
>
> Because debian (etch) while still maintaining version 2.3.3. FreeBSD,
> for example currunt already uses the version 2.8.2.2. Why not at least
> debian stable places in the version 2.4, I have problems to update the
> rules with the oinkmaster

You should try understanding the Debian release system. Stable is only
updated infrequently, because it is meant to be... stable.

If you want newer software, you can try testing or unstable. Lenny (aka
testing) has version 2.7.0. And experimental has 2.8.1.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
jeffrin Jose

Márcio Luciano Donada wrote:

Hi list,

Because debian (etch) while still maintaining version 2.3.3. FreeBSD,
for example currunt already uses the version 2.8.2.2. Why not at least
debian stable places in the version 2.4, I have problems to update the
rules with the oinkmaster

thnx.

try using debian sid which may contain bugs but will have a newer
version

there is also a debian derived disro name as sidux

/jeffrin

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Henri Salo

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:28:35AM -0200, Márcio Luciano Donada wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Because debian (etch) while still maintaining version 2.3.3. FreeBSD,
> for example currunt already uses the version 2.8.2.2. Why not at least
> debian stable places in the version 2.4, I have problems to update the
> rules with the oinkmaster
>
> thnx.
> --
> Márcio Luciano Donada <mdonada at auroraalimentos dot com dot br>
> Aurora Alimentos - Cooperativa Central Oeste Catarinense
> Departamento de T.I.

What kind of problems? I haven't yet meet a single problem updating
rules in etch. There is good examples for how to make proper
configuration for oinkmaster in oinkmaster.conf.

- Henri Salo

Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Teemu Likonen

Márcio Luciano Donada (2008-10-27 09:28 -0200):

> Because debian (etch) while still maintaining version 2.3.3. FreeBSD,
> for example currunt already uses the version 2.8.2.2. Why not at least
> debian stable places in the version 2.4, I have problems to update the
> rules with the oinkmaster

Debian does not update programs in its stable distribution. In Debian
programs are stable in two ways: (1) they don't change and (2) they are
usually well-tested and work reliably.

However, it is possible to use newer software in Debian stable. You can
do this by downloading a source package from Debian testing (or even
unstable) and compile it in Debian stable.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
John Hasler

Teemu Likonen writes:
> However, it is possible to use newer software in Debian stable. You can
> do this by downloading a source package from Debian testing (or even
> unstable) and compile it in Debian stable.

Better yet, get backported packages from <http://www.backports.org> where
Debian developers have done all the work of patching and compiling.
--
John Hasler

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Chris Bannister