Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Ken Heard

Default How to activate PCMCIA ethernet card in ThinkPad?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:28:11 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad R61 which has a built-in ethernet card,
> designated eth0, which command "lspci" identifies as follows:
>
> Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>
> While this card works, by comparison with my desktops it seems sluggish.

Check the syslog or dmesg output for messages from the tg3 driver. Make
sure the reason is not simply a bad port in a switch or a flaky cable,
i.e. unplug the desktop, connect the thinkpad to the very same cable and
compare the download/upload speed. Check the output of /sbin/ifconfig
for errors and dropped packages.

> I would consequently like to try a D-Link PC ethernet card which I had
> been using with older laptops and which was much faster.

Did you use the D-Link card with Linux on the older laptops? If so, with
which driver and which version of the kernel? Which kernel do you use
now?

> However, I do
> not know how to activate it.
>
> The R61 knows it is there, as command "pccardctl ident 0" returns the
> following:
>
> product info: "D-Link", "DMF-560TXD DirectPort PC Card", "", ""
> manfid: 0x0143, 0xc0ab
> function: 0 (multifunction)
>
> (This card, by the way is both a 10/100 Mb LAN [RJ-45] and a 56K
> FAX/modem V.90 [RJ-11]. My interest now is to activate the LAN part.)
>
> I would like this card to be eth1; so I added an eth1 entry in file
> /etc/network/interfaces.

The success or failure of creating the eth1 device is independent of the
entries in /etc/network/interfaces. It seems that in your case eth1 is
not created, probably because your kernel cannot find a driver for LAN
part of the card. Run

tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog

plug in the card, wait at least 30 seconds, post the output here.

Florian |

Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Ken Heard

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Check the syslog or dmesg output for messages from the tg3 driver.

Command "dmesg|grep tg3" returns the following:

[ 2.310795] tg3.c:v3.92.1 (June 9, 2008)
[ 55.476397] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
[ 55.476397] tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
[ 1971.865574] tg3: eth0: Link is down.
[ 2083.876231] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
[ 2083.876231] tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
[ 3508.072362] tg3: eth0: Link is down.
[ 5197.891833] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
[ 5197.891833] tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

> Make
> sure the reason is not simply a bad port in a switch or a flaky cable,
> i.e. unplug the desktop, connect the thinkpad to the very same cable and
> compare the download/upload speed.

The cable I tried with the D-Link card is the same one which I am using
successfully with the built-in card.

As for my desktop, unfortunately it is not usable at the moment. About
two months ago I upgraded it fromm Etch to Etchandahalf, whereupon in
short order it became unusable. I don't know whether to reinstall Etch
on it, or install Lenny, which of course is still in testing. I
certainly long for the stability of Sarge.

Check the output of /sbin/ifconfig
> for errors and dropped packages.

For eth0, the built-in LAN card, this command shows no dropped packages
and no errors.

> Did you use the D-Link card with Linux on the older laptops? If so, with
> which driver and which version of the kernel? Which kernel do you use
> now?

Yes, this card works in my P2 Toshiba laptop, which I still have, with
Etch and kernel 2.6.18. Now, on the ThinkPad I have Lenny and kernel
2.6.26-1-686.

> The success or failure of creating the eth1 device is independent of the
> entries in /etc/network/interfaces. It seems that in your case eth1 is
> not created, probably because your kernel cannot find a driver for LAN
> part of the card. Run
>
> tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog
>
> plug in the card, wait at least 30 seconds, post the output here.

Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.522147] pccard: PCMCIA card inserted
into slot 0
Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.522737] pcmcia: registering new
device pcmcia0.0
Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.574642] eth%d: pcnet_reset_8390() did
not complete.
Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.584724] pcnet_cs: unable to read
hardware net address for io base 0x6300
Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.682638] eth%d: pcnet_reset_8390() did
not complete.
Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.690638] pcnet_cs: unable to read
hardware net address for io base 0x6300

Regards, Ken Heard, Toronto

Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 23:16:32 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[ snip: The tg3 driver seems to think that everything is OK with the
built-in card. If you want to pursue this further then we need to know
how you tested this card and found that it was "sluggish". ]

> > Did you use the D-Link card with Linux on the older laptops? If so, with
> > which driver and which version of the kernel? Which kernel do you use
> > now?
>
> Yes, this card works in my P2 Toshiba laptop, which I still have, with
> Etch and kernel 2.6.18. Now, on the ThinkPad I have Lenny and kernel
> 2.6.26-1-686.

Maybe there has been a regression or the card needs a driver that has
been removed during the last cleanup of binary firmware blobs in the
Debian kernel sources (which happened in version 2.6.24 or .25 IIRC).

I would check out the output of "lspcmcia" and "lspci -knn" for the
older kernel to find out which driver is used when it works. (AFAIK, if
the pcmcia card is detected properly then the cardbus subsystem should
create an entry in the PCI subsystem which triggers the loading of the
appropriate module - at least, that's how things seems to work for my
prism54-based pcmcia card.)

> > The success or failure of creating the eth1 device is independent of the
> > entries in /etc/network/interfaces. It seems that in your case eth1 is
> > not created, probably because your kernel cannot find a driver for LAN
> > part of the card. Run
> >
> > tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog
> >
> > plug in the card, wait at least 30 seconds, post the output here.
>
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.522147] pccard: PCMCIA card inserted
> into slot 0
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.522737] pcmcia: registering new
> device pcmcia0.0
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.574642] eth%d: pcnet_reset_8390() did
> not complete.
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.584724] pcnet_cs: unable to read
> hardware net address for io base 0x6300
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.682638] eth%d: pcnet_reset_8390() did
> not complete.
> Oct 27 22:50:31 R61 kernel: [47405.690638] pcnet_cs: unable to read
> hardware net address for io base 0x6300

These messages lead to someone with the same problem, but no solution or
further insights:

http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Link-PCMCIA-LAN-card-pcnet_reset_8390-complete-ftopict440252.html

The "eth%d" suggests to me that something really goes wrong with the
discovery of the device; the "%d" placeholder should normally be
replaced by the appropriate number (the next free one) by the kernel.

Florian |

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Ken Heard

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Maybe there has been a regression or the card needs a driver that has
> been removed during the last cleanup of binary firmware blobs in the
> Debian kernel sources (which happened in version 2.6.24 or .25 IIRC).
>
> I would check out the output of "lspcmcia" and "lspci -knn" for the
> older kernel to find out which driver is used when it works. (AFAIK, if
> the pcmcia card is detected properly then the cardbus subsystem should
> create an entry in the PCI subsystem which triggers the loading of the
> appropriate module - at least, that's how things seems to work for my
> prism54-based pcmcia card.)

With the card in the Toshiba Tecra 8000 (P2 CPU; Etch, kernel
2.6.18-6-686) laptop, command "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" shows two devices
in that socket. Device 0 is the LAN using driver "pcnet_cs". Device 1
is the 56k FAX/modem using driver "serial_cs".

With the Card in the R61 ThinkPad, the same command, but for socket 0
instead of 1, does not distinguish between the two devices on the same
card. It merely says "no driver". (It does however indicate the bridge
driver: "yenta_cardbus".)

I then ran modprobe to install the serial_cs and pcnet_cs modules and
confirmed their installation. I then ran "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" again,
but with the same result: no differentiation of the two devices on the
card and still "no driver".

> The "eth%d" suggests to me that something really goes wrong with the
> discovery of the device; the "%d" placeholder should normally be
> replaced by the appropriate number (the next free one) by the kernel.

In view of the foregoing, where can I go from here, if anywhere? If
those two modules are not the right ones, which ones are? Surely there
must be people still using laptops with Etch or Lenny which require
external LAN cards.

As to why I may want to use this external LAN card rather than the
built-in one, I did a number of tests downloading the same web pages at
the same time to the ThinkPad and to my spouse's P4 desktop with Etch
and kernel 2.6.18. The latter does not have a built-in LAN card; so a
card in an PCI slot is necessary.

The pages downloaded to the P4 desktop at approximately twice the speed
as the downloads to the ThinkPad. I consequently want to try the
external LAN in the ThinkPad to see if it gave a faster response.

A previous experience comparing the spouse's P4 with a dual core desktop
with Etch and 2.6.26 produced the same result. I consequently disabled
the built-in LAN in the BIOS of that desktop with an external one, with
the same result -- connection speeds at least twice as fast. From these
experiences stems my suspicion of built-in LAN cards.

By the way, it is impossible in the ThinkPad to disable the built-in LAN
card in the BIOS. It should however not matter. Whichever LAN is
connected to the internet should be the one the ThinkPad will use if it
is configured for use.

Regards, Ken Heard, Toronto

Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:15:32 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > Maybe there has been a regression or the card needs a driver that has
> > been removed during the last cleanup of binary firmware blobs in the
> > Debian kernel sources (which happened in version 2.6.24 or .25 IIRC).

[...]

> With the card in the Toshiba Tecra 8000 (P2 CPU; Etch, kernel
> 2.6.18-6-686) laptop, command "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" shows two devices
> in that socket. Device 0 is the LAN using driver "pcnet_cs". Device 1
> is the 56k FAX/modem using driver "serial_cs".
>
> With the Card in the R61 ThinkPad, the same command, but for socket 0
> instead of 1, does not distinguish between the two devices on the same
> card. It merely says "no driver". (It does however indicate the bridge
> driver: "yenta_cardbus".)
>
> I then ran modprobe to install the serial_cs and pcnet_cs modules and
> confirmed their installation. I then ran "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" again,
> but with the same result: no differentiation of the two devices on the
> card and still "no driver".

[...]

> In view of the foregoing, where can I go from here, if anywhere? If

The Debian bug tracking system, or maybe bugzilla.kernel.org if you can
reproduce the problem with the newest vanilla kernel.

> If
> those two modules are not the right ones, which ones are?

As far as I can tell, pcnet_cs should support your card because it has
your manufacturer IDs in its device table:

PCMCIA_PFC_DEVICE_MANF_CARD(0, 0x0143, 0xc0ab),

The problem is that we don't know if the failure is due to the new
kernel or the different cardbus hardware on the thinkpad (compared to
the toshiba).

> Surely there
> must be people still using laptops with Etch or Lenny which require
> external LAN cards.

They are not necessarily using your specific card; also, we already
found at least one other person who seemed to have the same problem with
the same card.

Florian |