Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM
L.V.Gandhi

Default hard disk nomenclature

I have P5GC-MX motherboard which has on one IDE hdd slot and two SATA HDD slots. I have installed primary IDE DVD drive, secondary IDE IDE HDD 80GB and Primarty SATA 160GB SATA HDD. BIOS shows* as
FIRST IDE*** MASTER** DVD

FIRST IDE* SLAVE******* 80GB IDE DRIVE
THIRD IDE PRIMARY MASTER 160 GB SATA HDD
Debain ETCH shows 80GB IDE Drive as hdb and 160 GB SATA drive as sda.
KUBUNTU 0710 shows 80GB IDE Drive as sda and 160 GB SATA drive as sdb.

I would like to be enlightened why this happens.
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/