-   -   Cdrecord loses permission to write CD's... (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/182567-cdrecord-loses-permission-write-cds.html)

Kenward Vaughan 10-26-2008 06:09 PM

Cdrecord loses permission to write CD's...

After copying one CD, I find cdrecord losing it's permission to write to
the blank for a second, new CD. Any thoughts why this is happening?
Info is in the debugging output below. I was running Fluxbox after a
reboot.

FWIW I have difficulties as well getting the Plextor drive to be
recognized under Gnome, with it winding up spitting out "not ready"
messages on every terminal screen following attempts to use K3B or any
other CD software. I've had to reboot to reset things. Is this a hald
issue perhaps?

TIA for any help!

Kenward

-------------------
Below is the debugging output from K3B:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 1.0.5

KDE Version: 3.5.9
QT Version: 3.3.8b
Kernel: 2.6.26
Devices
-----------------------
LITE-ON DVD D LH-16D1P TL13 (/dev/hdb, ) [CD-ROM, DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM,
CD-ROM] [None]

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A 1.03 (/dev/hda, ) [CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-RW
Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-ROM, CD-R,
CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R,
Restricted Overwrite]
Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 1.1.8

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsidev: '/dev/hda'
devname: '/dev/hda'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.8
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if
device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
Identification : 'DVDR PX-708A '
Revision : '1.03'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1190112 = 1162 KB
Drive DMA Speed: 1341 kB/s 7x CD 0x DVD
FIFO size : 12582912 = 12288 KB
Encoding speed : 909x (68123 sectors/s) for libedc from Heiko Ei▀feldt
Track1 Start: '32' (32)
pregap1: 182
Track 01: audio 38 MB (03:49.70) no preemp pregapsize: 182
Track 02: audio 10 MB (01:02.86) no preemp pregapsize: 0

Track 25: audio 18 MB (01:52.77) no preemp pregapsize: 0
Total size: 548 MB (54:17.80) = 244335 sectors
Lout start: 548 MB (54:19/60) = 244335 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
ATIP start of lead in: -11634 (97:26/66)
Speed set to 7056 KB/s
/usr/bin/wodim: DMA speed too slow (OK for 6x). Cannot write at speed
40x.
ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 115511
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 40.0 in real RAW/RAW96R mode for
single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 2 seconds.
1 seconds.
0 seconds.
Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Errno: 0 (Success), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 FF FF D4 7C 00 00 1A 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 FF FF D5 12 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 07 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x07 (write error - recovery needed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk -10990 (valid)
resid: 63648
cmd finished after 1.861s timeout 40s
/usr/bin/wodim: Could not write Lead-in.
Writing lead-in at sector -11634
write leadin data: error after 1209312 bytes
Writing time: 30.620s
/usr/bin/wodim: fifo had 191 puts and 0 gets.
/usr/bin/wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was
100%.

cdrecord command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/wodim -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hda speed=40 -raw96r
driveropts=burnfree -eject -text -useinfo -audio
-shorttrack /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track01.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track02.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track03.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track04.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track05.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track06.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track07.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track08.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track09.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track10.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track11.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track12.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track13.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track14.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track15.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track16.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track17.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track18.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track19.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track20.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track21.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track22.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track23.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track24.wav /opt/film/k3bCdCopy0/Track25.wav

--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than

Kenward Vaughan 10-26-2008 07:02 PM

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:09 -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> After copying one CD, I find cdrecord losing it's permission to write to
> the blank for a second, new CD. Any thoughts why this is happening?
> Info is in the debugging output below. I was running Fluxbox after a

Restarting K3B and trying to burn an iso image started off well, then
died 80% of the way through with a similar error message...

????

Kenward
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --
Albert Einstein

Jochen Schulz 10-26-2008 09:29 PM

Cdrecord loses permission to write CD's...

Kenward Vaughan:

> Speed set to 7056 KB/s
> /usr/bin/wodim: DMA speed too slow (OK for 6x). Cannot write at speed
> 40x.

This might be your problem. Did you already try burning in a slower
mode?

J.
--
If nightclub doormen recognised me I would be more fulfilled.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Kenward Vaughan 10-26-2008 09:46 PM

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:29 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Kenward Vaughan:
> >
> > Speed set to 7056 KB/s
> > /usr/bin/wodim: DMA speed too slow (OK for 6x). Cannot write at speed
> > 40x.
>
> This might be your problem. Did you already try burning in a slower
> mode?
>
> J.

It's on auto, so I hadn't tried to change that. I'll look at it.

I don't get the DMA issue, to be honest. I wonder if that was lost when
I got this box a while back (I don't burn discs too often). It wasn't a
question with my older machine.

Thanks,

Kenward

Jochen Schulz 10-26-2008 09:58 PM

Cdrecord loses permission to write CD's...

Kenward Vaughan:
> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:29 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Kenward Vaughan:
>>>
>>> Speed set to 7056 KB/s
>>> /usr/bin/wodim: DMA speed too slow (OK for 6x). Cannot write at speed
>>> 40x.
>>
>> This might be your problem. Did you already try burning in a slower
>> mode?
>
> I don't get the DMA issue, to be honest. I wonder if that was lost when
> I got this box a while back (I don't burn discs too often). It wasn't a
> question with my older machine.

Do you have DMA enabled at all? Check with 'hdparm -d /dev/$foo',
replacing $foo with your cd/dvd device and your hard disk(s).

J.
--
If I could travel through time I would go back to yesterday and
apologise.

Kenward Vaughan 10-27-2008 01:04 AM

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:58 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Kenward Vaughan:
> > On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:29 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >> Kenward Vaughan:

> >> This might be your problem. Did you already try burning in a slower
> >> mode?
> >
> > I don't get the DMA issue, to be honest. I wonder if that was lost when
> > I got this box a while back (I don't burn discs too often). It wasn't a
> > question with my older machine.

I did successfully burn a disc at 4x.

> Do you have DMA enabled at all? Check with 'hdparm -d /dev/$foo',
> replacing $foo with your cd/dvd device and your hard disk(s).
>
> J.

I've tried that at times with no luck on the CDs:

hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d on /dev/hda
on: No such file or directory
hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

My HDs are SATAs, so hdparm doesn't work, written as above, at least.

Do you know whether there is a setting or series of settings in my
kernel that I don't realize need to be changed?? (I roll my own.)

Thanks,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,

Emanoil Kotsev 10-27-2008 04:31 PM

Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:58 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Kenward Vaughan:

>> > I don't get the DMA issue, to be honest. I wonder if that was lost
>> > when
>> > I got this box a while back (I don't burn discs too often). It wasn't
>> > a question with my older machine.
>>

> I did successfully burn a disc at 4x.
>

>> Do you have DMA enabled at all? Check with 'hdparm -d /dev/$foo',
>> replacing $foo with your cd/dvd device and your hard disk(s).
>>
>> J.
>
> I've tried that at times with no luck on the CDs:
>
> hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d on /dev/hda
> on: No such file or directory
> hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma = 0 (off)
>
> My HDs are SATAs, so hdparm doesn't work, written as above, at least.
>
> Do you know whether there is a setting or series of settings in my
> kernel that I don't realize need to be changed?? (I roll my own.)
>
> Thanks,
>

> Kenward

Hi, I had the same issue with activeting the GENERIC_IDE option in the
kernel. Look at ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL under Device Drivers
generic/default IDE chipset support -> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC
Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC

Disable them or set them to <M> this way no generic ide is setup and the
ata_* code takes effect which leads to u/DMA getting enabled

After this your drive (and/or cd/dvd) will be found as /dev/sdX
respectively /dev/srX

hope this helps for me it worked

regards

Kenward Vaughan 10-30-2008 02:52 PM

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:31 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Kenward Vaughan wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 23:58 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >> Kenward Vaughan:
> >> Do you have DMA enabled at all? Check with 'hdparm -d /dev/$foo',
> >> replacing $foo with your cd/dvd device and your hard disk(s).
> >>
> >> J.
> >
> > I've tried that at times with no luck on the CDs:
> >
> > hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d on /dev/hda
> > on: No such file or directory
> > hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> > using_dma = 0 (off)
> >
> > My HDs are SATAs, so hdparm doesn't work, written as above, at least.
> >
> > Do you know whether there is a setting or series of settings in my
> > kernel that I don't realize need to be changed?? (I roll my own.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Kenward
>
> Hi, I had the same issue with activeting the GENERIC_IDE option in the
> kernel. Look at ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL under Device Drivers
> generic/default IDE chipset support -> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC
> Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC
>
> Disable them or set them to <M> this way no generic ide is setup and the
> ata_* code takes effect which leads to u/DMA getting enabled
>
> After this your drive (and/or cd/dvd) will be found as /dev/sdX
> respectively /dev/srX
>
> hope this helps for me it worked
>
> regards

Emanoil,

Wonderful! I finally got time to try this, and it worked great. The CDs
are flying out of the tray now.

Thanks to Jochen too, for your help as well with this!

Kenward

Emanoil Kotsev 10-30-2008 08:15 PM

Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:31 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>> Kenward Vaughan wrote:

>> > I've tried that at times with no luck on the CDs:
>> >
>> > hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d on /dev/hda
>> > on: No such file or directory
>> > hpotter:/home/daddy# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
>> >
>> > /dev/hda:
>> > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>> > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>> > using_dma = 0 (off)
>> >
>> > My HDs are SATAs, so hdparm doesn't work, written as above, at least.
>> >
>> > Do you know whether there is a setting or series of settings in my
>> > kernel that I don't realize need to be changed?? (I roll my own.)
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> > Kenward
>>
>> Hi, I had the same issue with activeting the GENERIC_IDE option in the
>> kernel. Look at ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL under Device Drivers
>> generic/default IDE chipset support -> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC
>> Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC
>>
>> Disable them or set them to <M> this way no generic ide is setup and the
>> ata_* code takes effect which leads to u/DMA getting enabled
>>
>> After this your drive (and/or cd/dvd) will be found as /dev/sdX
>> respectively /dev/srX
>>
>> hope this helps for me it worked
>>
>> regards
>
> Emanoil,
>
> Wonderful! I finally got time to try this, and it worked great. The CDs
> are flying out of the tray now.
>
> Thanks to Jochen too, for your help as well with this!
>

> Kenward

welcome,
Glad to hear that. It took me about half an year among all my other duties
to get used to the new kernel (2.6.2X) and read most of the documentation
and finally find out what is going on with my dvd recorder.

regards