Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Mark Neidorff

Default Recording from XM radio

Hi Folks,

I'm currently running Etch and KDE as my desktop.

I'm considering changing my Internet (and audio/viedo) setup. The goal is to
save some money. I currently have a static IP which I get via DSL (so I can
run my mail and web servers).

One of my hobbies is collecting a radio show that is broadcast on XM satellite
radio. I have satellite TV and the XM station that carries the show is part
of the basic satellite package. So, what I now do is record the radio
program on a DVR, burn the program onto a DVD/RW disk, and then strip the
audio out of the DVD/RW disk with dvd-rip. (it is a hobby)

Two questions:

Yesterday, I spoke with a sales droid from the cable company (Cablevision). He
said that I could continue to get a static IP through them. If you can
confirm that Cablevision will offer me a static IP, please let me know.

Also, part of the conversion (if all is well with everythig) I will be getting
an XM account. From reading on the web, I know that with my XM account, I
can listen to XM on my computer. Would someone please tell me how to record
XM from their internet stream? Recording audio in general isn't the problem,
but specifically for XM is.

I would really like to get everything set before I decide to make the change,
because this will change EVERYTHING--Internet, TV, radio, phone--for me and I
want to be sure that everything is right before I make the change.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Ron Johnson

Yesterday, I spoke with a sales droid from the cable company (Cablevision). He
said that I could continue to get a static IP through them. If you can
confirm that Cablevision will offer me a static IP, please let me know.

Every ISP offers static IP addresses for an extra fee.

Also, part of the conversion (if all is well with everythig) I will be getting
an XM account. From reading on the web, I know that with my XM account, I
can listen to XM on my computer. Would someone please tell me how to record
XM from their internet stream? Recording audio in general isn't the problem,
but specifically for XM is.

This might be the sticky wicket, since they might use a proprietary
protocol which no Linux apps understand.

I would really like to get everything set before I decide to make the change,
because this will change EVERYTHING--Internet, TV, radio, phone--for me and I
want to be sure that everything is right before I make the change.

Except for XM Radio, it's not that big of a deal.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Rob McBroom