Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM
"Anton Piatek"

Default Sound broken in recent Lenny update

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:02:26AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:

If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
-- Arthur Kasspe

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,26.Oct.08, 10:02:26, Anton Piatek wrote:

> /etc/modprobe.d$ grep snd-pcsp *
> alsa-base:install snd-pcsp /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcsp
> $CMDLINE_OPTS && /lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-pcsp
> alsa-base:# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
> alsa-baseptions snd-pcsp index=-2
> alsa-base-blacklist:blacklist snd-pcsp
> blacklist:blacklist snd-pcsp
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what to put to either make the pcsp
> module take a different index (or even check the indexes as I don't
> know how to check what they actually have at bootup) or help me
> succeed in blocking it's loading completely

One way is to put something like

install snd-pcsp /bin/true

in some file in /etc/modprobe.d/ (I use 00local for local changes) or if
this doesn't work you could just delete the module, though I would use
this only as a last resort.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 PM
"Andres Migliazzo"

Well I've a Sound Blaster Live card and I experimented the same issue, I had to run the alsaconf script every time that I booted the system.* The way in which I solved it was just adding these lines to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

-------------------
# Try to get emu10k1 listed in /proc/asound/cards:
blacklist bt878
blacklist bttv
blacklist snd_bt87x
blacklist snd_emu10k1x
blacklist snd_mpu401
blacklist snd_mpu401_uart

------------------

I hope it helps.
Andres-

Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
"Anton Piatek"

So I found the cause.. something had decided to create a
/etc/modprobe.conf (which doesnt call /etc/modprobe.d/*)
The contents of it was "options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3" if
anyone could tell me the culprit from that (i think its serial port
related, but no idea what package it might be)- I have had this
several times before, so some package is behaving badly...

Anyway, mostly posting this so if anyone else has this problem (that
the blacklist seems to have no effect) they should check if
/etc/modprobe.conf exists and if so, does it load /etc/modprobe.d/*
init did actually print a warning, but X usually comes up so quick
that I miss it

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.