Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 AM
L.V.Gandhi

Default apt-get update error

For debian-live, as said in
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/05/31/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution/

I have added the following line
deb http://live.debian.net/debian/ etch main
to /etc/apt/sources.list.
But when I do apt-get update, I get following error

Err http://live.debian.net etch/main Packages
* 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://live.debian.net/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz* 404 Not Found

Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://live.debian.net etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/live.debian.net_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

I saw in http://live.debian.net/ the folder hierarchy is only

http://live.debian.net/debian/
hence I corrected the line to
http://live.debian.net/debian/
but I get error as
E: Malformed line 19 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)

How to make correct entry?
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/

Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 26 October 2008, L.V.Gandhi <lvgandhi@gmail.com> wrote
about 'apt-get update error':
>*deb http://live.debian.net/debian/ etch main
>*to */etc/apt/sources.list.

Based on what I saw that http://live.debian.net/debian , they are not using
the pooled layout with distribution subdirectories. Instead, they are
using the flat layout. So, the line should be:
deb http://live.debian.net /debian/
or
deb http://live.debian.net/debian /

(I think.) The relevant section of sources.list(5) is:
The format for a sources.list entry using the deb and deb-src types
are:

deb uri distribution [component1] [component2] [...]

The URI for the deb type must specify the base of the Debian
distribution, from which APT will find the information it needs.
distribution can specify an exact path, in which case the components
must be omitted and distribution must end with a slash (/). This is
useful for when only a particular sub-section of the archive denoted
by
the URI is of interest. If distribution does not specify an exact
path,
at least one component must be present.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.